Help for a Pushy Parent?

2 watchers
Mar 2014
2:07pm, 12 Mar 2014
25,113 posts
  •  
Frobester
To start with, I'm about the most unpushy parent you can imagine (apart from a desire to see my kids get out in the open and enjoy some form of activity).

Right. Disclaimer done with, I'm wanting to buy my eldest her first proper pair of running shoes, for her 10th birthday. She's about 2.5 shoe size, so I'd go for a 3 to allow space to grow and for the shoes to be not that tight.

It being her first pair, it'd be nice to actually go to a real shop, sit down, get her feet measured, and enable her to choose something, which doesn't involve having to educate the member of staff.

After a bit of research however it appears that neither Sweatshop, Runner's Need, or Foot Locker, (or, for that matter, JD Sports...) actually carry any children's running shoes in their stores, beyond toddlers' trainers.

Can anyone name me a reputable high-street branch, where the staff are reasonably knowledgeable, which actually carries some children's running shoes from sizes 3 up? I can buy exactly what I need online, but, call me awkward and/or old-fashioned, but I'd at least like her to feel she's being made a fuss of.

Cheers!
Mar 2014
2:17pm, 12 Mar 2014
198 posts
  •  
fraggle
Sweatshop do stock shoes from a size 3 upwards -my normal shoe size is a 3, though I do have a 4/4.5 in trainers - might be worth ringing you local one to find out what they've got in ? I would imagine that finding 'children's' shoes might be difficult and you may have to buy small 'womens' ones.
Mar 2014
2:18pm, 12 Mar 2014
199 posts
  •  
fraggle
PS - I don't hunk you're being pushy - no more so than me ferrying my youngest to the diving pool 3 times a week.....
Mar 2014
2:22pm, 12 Mar 2014
25,115 posts
  •  
Frobester
Thanks Fraggle. My local sweatshop does nothing in size 3 in the store (they've got tons online just like other shops) - but I happened to speak just now to a member of staff who pointed me in the direction of the local John Lewis! That might be the way forward...
Mar 2014
2:30pm, 12 Mar 2014
25,116 posts
  •  
Frobester
Oh well! Standard high street running shoe shops' loss is John Lewis's gain - turns out they have loads, lots of different brands and sizes. Guess I'll just let this thread slip into obscurity now!
Mar 2014
2:33pm, 12 Mar 2014
17,088 posts
  •  
HellsBells
don't know about the chains, but we had good children's running shoe service for Advance Performance in Cambridge
Mar 2014
2:51pm, 12 Mar 2014
771 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
Same for us - Advance Performance in Cambridge have been selling us track spikes since my youngest was in size 3 and we're now at the point (i.e. age 13) where I (his aging father) can probably use his old shoes when he outgrows them. Sweatshop is too small to carry a big range actually in the shop, although they seem pretty good with letting you order stuff online and try it on at the shop.
Mar 2014
2:53pm, 12 Mar 2014
25,118 posts
  •  
Frobester
Thanks both, will give them a call.
Mar 2014
3:17pm, 12 Mar 2014
7,262 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Lincs Runner do a good range of kids shoes as well, not much good if you don't live in or near to Lincoln though.
Mar 2014
3:23pm, 12 Mar 2014
25,119 posts
  •  
Frobester
Sorry, I possibly should have been more specific in the OP - I'm in Bedford, which is pretty much negligible in terms of decent sports shoe shops for anyone, let alone children. I widened my radius to include Cambridge and MK. Very occasionally near Lincoln for work but wouldn't drive up there at weekends.

About This Thread

Maintained by
To start with, I'm about the most unpushy parent you can imagine (apart from a desire to see my kid...