Haglund's Deformity - anyone had/have it?

2 watchers
Oct 2020
8:15am, 1 Oct 2020
862 posts
  •  
Muttley
The physio says that the pain in the back of my foot is Haglund's Deformity. Anyone like to share their experiences of it and especially how they managed or got rid of it? I've been given some hamstring stretches and calf looseners to be going on with. It bleedin' hurts ... although the physio says it's not a serious condition.
Oct 2020
8:32am, 1 Oct 2020
5,912 posts
  •  
minardi
I wonder how many of us have to google that one Muttley! I've never heard of it but I hope you can manage it and get it gone soon.
Oct 2020
9:05am, 1 Oct 2020
1,419 posts
  •  
Love Lettuce
I've got that! I never knew it had a name. I've had to have physio for it in the past, but it was just referred to as a bone spur.

The standard calf, hamstring and foot stretching definitely makes an impact. Foot and ankle strengthening exercises also helped. A physio told me not to wear high heels because it will make it worse (not sure how relevant that is to you!). I also avoid "built up" shoes - both shoes with thick or heavy soles, and shoes with high ankles. For everything except running I wander around barefoot or as close to it as I can get. The change in footwear has been the single thing that's made the biggest difference in the long term.

I have also found over time that if you get the condition under control the spur becomes less prominent - so if it's acute now you might not be stuck with your current level of 'deformity'!
Oct 2020
9:44pm, 1 Oct 2020
865 posts
  •  
Muttley
Aye LL, bone spurs or "pump bump" are other names for it. Sounds like you're doing more or less the same as me to treat it. I'm glad to see that it's worked for you. As for not wearing high heels, I guess that's my Saturday nights ruined for the time being :-)

Storm Alex and gale force winds are bearing down on us here so I probably won't get out for a run for a day or so. More time to stretch those hammies then.
Oct 2020
9:58pm, 1 Oct 2020
1,422 posts
  •  
Love Lettuce
I had serious flare ups for about 7 or 8 years before seeking treatment. The last episode I had that was bad enough to interfere with physical activity since I had physio and made some changes was about 10 years ago, so a recovery is definitely possible if you keep on top of it and become very selective about your footwear.

Good idea to take advantage of Storm Alex to get a head start on the rehab. Best of luck to you!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Muttley
The physio says that the pain in the back of my foot is Haglund's Deformity. Anyone like to sha...