3 watchers
Jan 2015
6:25pm, 19 Jan 2015
26 posts
  •  
RedAlex76
Hi guys

Wanted some advice if you don't mind!

It's almost the end of January now and I am at a level where I regularly run 5k's, Sunday just passed I was completed a 5.6 mile run (with a couple of small walking sections), if I was to make the decision to take part in the Great North Run this year would it be possible to train up to that distance in time?

Most of my runs during the week are done before work as i find it easier to do them then and it allows me to keep to a 5k distance (half an hour at the mo). I am hoping to use the weekends to get at least one long run in hence the 5.6 miler this past weekend!

I had set myself a target to be able to run 10 miles regularly by the end of the year but due to the ease of the first long run I think that I may be able to push that forward with the right plan and motivation!

There is another complication with the fact that the other half works night shifts on a 3 on 3 off basis which means that the chances for longer runs in the evenings will be more difficult to complete!

Any advice or guidance on the realistic possibility of doing this would be most appreciated and if there are any specific ways you think would benefit me going forward (ie personal trainer, running club etc etc) then please feel free to suggest them.

Thanks for your time and assistance with this!

RedAlex76
Jan 2015
6:50pm, 19 Jan 2015
3,065 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
I would say it's definitely possible to reach 13.1 by September. There are numerous beginners half marathon training plans available but it really depends on your aspiration for the run. Want to enjoy the atmosphere and get to the finish in one piece but not concerned with time? No problem at all. Many people do just that on 8 to 10 miles as a longest run in training. want to do a super speedy time? Not sure about that - I'm not quick enough to be qualified to answer!

As for personal trainer or running club. It depends on what motivates you i suppose. Many people find running clubs a great way to get themselves out for a run when motivation is lacking, others find following a plan by themselves suits them better. If you fancy a personal trainer, find one that's into running.

However you do it, I hope you enjoy it!
Jan 2015
6:52pm, 19 Jan 2015
3,066 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
There are a few training plans here that might suit you http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-list.php
Jan 2015
7:07pm, 19 Jan 2015
1,456 posts
  •  
PenW
I agree with SusieSue.
If it helps - I began running in January 2006 as a complete beginner (run 1 min, walk 4 mins and repeat 4 times if I remember correctly for my first session!). I completed the great north run in 2006 too so definitely possible. :-)

Good luck!
Jan 2015
7:08pm, 19 Jan 2015
12,538 posts
  •  
colettedeann
Alex - with consistency and a plan for that distance it is definitely do-able - give it a go if that's what u want to do - and there are always folk on fetch that will give advice or a bit of inspiration when needed :) good luck
Jan 2015
7:17pm, 19 Jan 2015
1,247 posts
  •  
jacdaw
You won't have a problem; I ran a half (my first race) with 9 weeks training, from a standing start. I ran it all and enjoyed it. You just need a training plan to follow, then try to follow it consistently (at least a bit).

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RedAlex76
Hi guys

Wanted some advice if you don't mind!

It's almost the end of January now and I am at...