Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead - July 2022 Book Group discussion

8 watchers
Aug 2022
1:20pm, 5 Aug 2022
56,132 posts
  •  
LindsD
And I see that I agree broadly with LD, not for the first time. And agree about the choke lit stuff, too.
Sep 2022
9:55am, 4 Sep 2022
26,503 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I felt a bit mean about this book as I enjoyed quite a lot of sections: it just felt too contrived with its different voices and vignettes.
A shorter book cutting out most of the relationship conjecture and the current day actress and focussing on the journey; a period piece on womens trapped relationships, with a modern day equivalent compare and contrast if you must; a history of womens flying; a post modern piece on acting - I think I would have enjoyed better editing and separate stories more than I did the whole. But then I’m a Beryl Bainbridge fan for her ruthless clean prose (birthday boys came to mind) and this was just a bit florid overall.
I found the bits with Marian and Caleb particularly weak. And enjoyed Jamie as a character. And didn’t entirely believe Ruth. And found Ed squashed in too late. And each of those sections reminded me of another, better book, as if she didn’t have the confidence to tell one story.
Still enjoyed it though
Sep 2022
10:35am, 4 Sep 2022
26,506 posts
  •  
Serendippily
The sex in general lost a mark for me. I do not think she described the claustrophobia of an obsessive relationship well not how you doubt yourself
Sep 2022
9:30pm, 4 Sep 2022
56,690 posts
  •  
LindsD
Agree about there being better books in there.
Oct 2022
8:05pm, 31 Oct 2022
6,746 posts
  •  
westmoors
I really enjoyed this. Normally I get annoyed with narratives that jump between timelines, but this one didn't do that. Liked how aviation facts got woven in. Not sure all the sex was necessary. Gave it a 9.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan

Elton John so very rightly warbled:

From the day we arrive on the planet
And blinking, step into the sun
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
Some say, "Eat or be eaten"
Some say, "Live and let live"
But all are agreed as they join the stampede
You should never take more than you give

In the circle of life
It's the wheel of fortune
It's the leap of faith
It's the band of hope
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the circle, the circle of life

And it's almost certain that Maggie Shipstead was thinking primarily of The Lion King when she sat down at her quite fancy new computer to write her latest Novel, Great Circle.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 112,279 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here