GPS Route Recording Problems - Missing Route/Distance data

1 watcher
Jul 2015
2:43pm, 4 Jul 2015
10,153 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I have a Suunto Ambit which is really good.

However, sometimes, despite the fact that it has locked on to the GPS signal before I start my run, and it shows my distance and mile splits as I run, when I download my training session into my log part of my route is missing and the distance is short.

For example, the other day it indicated that I began my run half a mile after I actually did. Today it only recorded the last 0.2 miles of a 6-miler. This was especially annoying as I ran a new route through unknown woods and was keen to see where I had actually been.

Anyone has any idea why this happens and how I can prevent it? I didn't hear or see any warning that signal was lost. And, if it was, how come it was able to tell me my distance all the way through?

Is it possibly an upload problem, as the logbook on the watch indicates that the correct distance?
Jul 2015
4:42pm, 4 Jul 2015
1,404 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Does it all show OK on Suunto's Movescount, and just a problem in Fetch ?

If so, if you manually export a FIT file ( or whatever option Movescount gives ) from Movescount onto your computer, and load that into Fetch via Add Training, does that work OK ?
Jul 2015
7:10pm, 4 Jul 2015
10,157 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Thanks Gus, I already upload the data via my laptop, it creates an SML file. I'll check Moveslink though, that's a good idea.
Jul 2015
2:30pm, 5 Jul 2015
10,167 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Update for anyone else who is interested...

Today's run was recorded without a hitch. Checked Moveslink and yesterday's run was incomplete there - showed the correct distance in the summary but only the last 0.2 miles on the map.

So, the problem is clearly with the watch/GPS connection

That leaves me with the question of how does the watch know my pace and distance during the run? Is it based on time and normal pace?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
I have a Suunto Ambit which is really good.

However, sometimes, despite the fact that it has lock...