FRA kit list

4 watchers
fff
May 2012
7:26pm, 29 May 2012
188 posts
  •  
fff
I had one of them fancy innov 8 bum bags that carry a water bottle- I lost the bottle somewhere round the side of skiddaw never to be seen again......it was also a pain and didn't fit properly. The pete bland bum bag has straps that I can pull and tighten as I run (I tend to get a smaller waist the longer I run??)

I also have an Innov 8 ruc sac that you can fit a bladder into and it has loads of room, it has straps round the side which you can put gels etc in to, I have used it for longer fell runs but it is a pain and heavy too- would be good for a commute though. the hardened club fell runners used to joke I had the kitchen sink on my back......now I mostly use the pete bland one , swing it round for a gel and top up the water bottle at a stream/tarn at the right spot. this got me round borrowdale

I can get a cagoule, a safety blanket, map , compass, whistle , them innov 8 water proof trousers I've never opened, an inhaler, a bottle, some gels/shot bloc in it. I hardly notice running with it now

I've learned just to put all the kit in the car boot hats, gloves etc (one race made you have a top as well as a vest and a cagoule) and then when you see the kit requirements and the weather pack the bum bag then
May 2012
10:29pm, 29 May 2012
12,047 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I've asked for either the Pete Bland or the inov8 race elite 3 to be getting on with. Thanks for the advice. If it hadn't been for asking here I'd never have tought to look at Pete Bland.

Then to the "full body cover" for the FRA. Turns out I need a hood. I don't think either of my long-sleeved running jackets are anything other than windproof, and neither have a hood. I don't have a hood on my cycling jacket as I wear a helmet. In fact, the only hooded jacket I have is an "explorer weight" fleece-lined Berghaus jacket which was bought by a much fatter version of me, so I can't run in it, even with the fleece taken out.

I have a pair of trousers with taped seams which I use for cycling, which pack down into a galia melon sized pouch, although could probably be made smaller with a bit of thought.

Any suggestions as to what waterproofs would be a good idea?
May 2012
7:46am, 30 May 2012
60 posts
  •  
Alfa_Scud
As usual it depends on what you want to spend on a jacket really - I have an OMM Kamleika smock, a really comfy jacket to run in, but as with most supposedly fully waterproof stuff, it's not great in wet weather in this country; the atmospheres just too wet, so you can't shift moisture. Therefore you end up wet anyhow, from sweat and / or condensation if nothing else!

My wife managed to pick up a Montane Featherlite H2O jacket which has a hood, & is "waterproof" with taped seams and a hood & packs up very small. I'm not sure if they're still made or not, but she only paid £45 for it last year, which was a bargain really.

As usual with these things, generally more money = less weight & better fabric! Personally, unless you're doing loads of stuff, I'd set a max price of £100 and see what you can get.
May 2012
7:56am, 30 May 2012
1,459 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
My wife has an OMM Kamleika smock and loves it, generally speaking it keeps the worst of the weather out, her only criticism is that the hood is a bit on the small side and could do with a longer peak. Myself, I would have loved a Haglofs Ozo but aforementioned wife (a Yorkshire lass) firmly vetoed the financial outlay. I have used a Montane Atomic for over a year now and am a fan. It's very waterproof, has huge chest pockets that double as vents, a very deep and effective hood and possibly the best feature, has longer sleeves than average that you can pull over your gloves and in monsoon conditions keep your hands/gloves drier than they otherwise would be. My only criticism would be that sometimes the drawstrings at the waist/hood come loose when the wind is really battering you, but I think that might be fairly common to other brands too. You used to be able to pick up an Atomic (non-stretch version) for about 85 quid at Sportshoes in Bradford, don't know if they have any left. Oh yes, I was so impressed that I bought the Atomic trousers too. I was always slow in putting on waterproof trousers, always seemed too much trouble. Not any more, you can get these things on over muddy fell shoes with no problem and it's truly nice to be really dry in crappy conditions!
May 2012
7:58am, 30 May 2012
1,460 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
p.s. I forgot to mention - she found an OMM Kamleika smock (size large) on the descent from Helvellyn a few weeks ago, this was on Whelpside Edge (the Old Counties Tops descent). Looked like it had been there for a good while, it was quite sun bleached in places. Anybody lost one? Possibly at last year's OCT?
fff
May 2012
8:39pm, 30 May 2012
191 posts
  •  
fff
i've got those innov8 trousers I've never used. just get wet and muddy........Mr FFF has the innov8 jacket again which he has never used but he tends to only do short races......the main criteria in choosing these are they are packed down for the bum bag. I know I probably sound like a rep for pete bland but have tended to pick these things up from the red van at the races
just a thought DeeGee if you are really nippy you might win some vouchers to buy the kit from the red van............;-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ADT75
Perhaps a silly question, but how do I get FRA kitlist into such a small bumbag? Do I just have to s...