Dumb question about orthotics....

3 watchers
Apr 2012
11:45am, 11 Apr 2012
7,525 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
I have recently started using orthotics in my shoes (just off the shelf ones, not custom made) and they *seem* to really help with my ITBS problems that I have had for AGES!!

I was running in Adidas Adizero Adios at the time, so just took out the insoles and put my orthotics in. I have done the same with my Roclites.

My question is, can I basically put the orthotics in ANY running shoe I choose?

I love my Adizero Adios, but not the new Adios 2, so am thinking about possibly changing shoes - no idea what to though!
Apr 2012
2:12pm, 11 Apr 2012
7,526 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
*bump*
Apr 2012
2:24pm, 11 Apr 2012
6,814 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
* boing *
Apr 2012
2:28pm, 11 Apr 2012
11,555 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Sweatshop did me a custom footbed to even out my overpronation as part of the process of selling me a shoe last week.

They certainly implied that I could happily buy the footbed and put it in any shoe that I wanted. In the end, I settled for a pair of racing flats that weren't quite flat rather than the footbed.
Apr 2012
2:59pm, 11 Apr 2012
7,527 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Thanks DeeGee - I suppose I can't really see why you cannot put orthotics into any shoe.
Apr 2012
3:10pm, 11 Apr 2012
1,603 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Lil, I wear custom made orthotics in just about everything from running to my standard everyday work shoes and casual trainers and boots. If they help sort out a problem then I don't see why you shouldn't wear them. You spend a lot of time on your feet even when you're not running.
Apr 2012
3:59pm, 11 Apr 2012
9,700 posts
  •  
Meglet
I think you can as long as if there's an insole already you can take it out. My OH has custom-mades that he transfers between all his shoes (he's not a runner).

Hope it works.
Apr 2012
4:28pm, 11 Apr 2012
805 posts
  •  
Tikka
I have custom-made orthotics for running and the podiatrist told me to wear a neutral shoe, to allow the orthotic to work in the way that it is intended to.
Nov 2012
12:27pm, 1 Nov 2012
327 posts
  •  
AndrewS
I have a pair of Asics Gel Blackhawk 4's. The problem is that I can't take the insole out of them. Unlike other Asics that I have had in the past, the insole appears to be glued into the sole.
Should I attempt to remove it? Has anyone attempted this? If so, did the shoe survive the surgery?
I really don't want to have to but another pair of shoes just yet (am poor and these ones only have 100 miles in them so far).
Sep 2013
10:16am, 11 Sep 2013
69,741 posts
  •  
GregP
My guv'nor just asked me about using orthotics in Inov8s.

My initial feeling is there's be no room - and little point.

What does the panel think?

About This Thread

Maintained by Liliaicha
I have recently started using orthotics in my shoes (just off the shelf ones, not custom made) and t...