Crashed 14k into a run

1 watcher
azx
Feb 2021
3:19pm, 15 Feb 2021
26 posts
  •  
azx
Wonder if anyone can offer some insight into what might have happened to me yesterday. I set off for a run of about 20k. After about 12k I was really struggling and gave up at 14. I walked the remaining 2-3k home but was feeling faint and had to keep stopping. I stopped at a shop to get a mars bar and drink which helped a bit. Since it was very cold and I wasn't running any more, I was also freezing cold.
During the week before I did 2 runs of 13k and 10k and 2 rides totalling 2 hours. The previous weekend I did an 18k run without any problem. Had a rest day the day before.

I had breakfast a couple of hours before the run, morning resting heart rate was normal (45 or so), ate ok the day before. Really have no explanation, but it was like hitting the wall during a marathon. I don't feel unwell in any way. Any ideas?
jda
Feb 2021
5:08pm, 15 Feb 2021
9,444 posts
  •  
jda
Best explanation I can come up with is that you are coming down with something and might feel ill in the next couple of days. Otherwise seems odd for a reasonably experienced runner who seems to have covered all the bases for obvious bonks.
azx
Feb 2021
5:18pm, 15 Feb 2021
27 posts
  •  
azx
I wonder if there's any chance it's covid then. No loss of sense of smell or a temperature though. No other signs of fatigue. It was very strange and I've been running on and off for 20+ years.
Feb 2021
5:35pm, 15 Feb 2021
51,500 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I deduce from the information available that you had a bad run. Sometimes stinkers happen for no obvious reason. If you don't come down with something, see how your next run goes.
azx
Feb 2021
6:29pm, 15 Feb 2021
28 posts
  •  
azx
I hope you're right! I guess I'll know in a few days. Will report back.
azx
Feb 2021
2:25pm, 21 Feb 2021
32 posts
  •  
azx
Closing with a follow-up. Felt fine all week, went for a couple of runs and a couple of rides. 20k run today and was absolutely fine. Perhaps a bit better fueled up and took some sports drink with me. Will have to chalk it up as an unexplained mini-bonk. Must admit it was nice running with a bit of sunshine today!
Feb 2021
3:49pm, 21 Feb 2021
22,012 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Good news :-) Some sunshine on the run ( I had some as well B-) ) certainly helps.

(My best guess for before is that you'd done enough over the previous week to run your stores down a bit, then put yourself in a situation where you found that out. Not necessarily complete depletion, just a situation where your body has gone "yeah ... nope".)
azx
Feb 2021
5:31pm, 21 Feb 2021
33 posts
  •  
azx
Looking at my stats last week in terms of heart rate and pace, something was definitely wrong right from the beginning. Guess my body just wasn't in the mood.
jda
Feb 2021
10:32am, 22 Feb 2021
9,475 posts
  •  
jda
I think we've all learnt over the past year that mild illnesses can pass mostly unnoticed, but I'd expect they could be enough to knock performance.

Dehydration also gets me occasionally, if I'm careless or get caught out somehow. But I'd expect you would have known about that.

Glad to hear you're fine now anyway.
azx
Feb 2021
10:46am, 22 Feb 2021
35 posts
  •  
azx
I had a flu shot one morning a bit back. By the afternoon I'd forgotten about it and went for a run. Only when I looked at my HR graph did I remember after I saw all the stats completely out of whack. I probably should watch how the first 5k of a run goes and maybe reconsider my plan for the day; slow down or cut short.

Thanks for all the insight!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by azx
Wonder if anyone can offer some insight into what might have happened to me yesterday. I set off for...