Coughs, colds and Laryngitis

1 watcher
Mar 2013
9:32am, 15 Mar 2013
56 posts
  •  
doopy
I have Laryngitis, what started out as a sore throat on Monday turned into complete loss of voice by Tuesday evening. I feel fine, there is no pain, my throat does feel quite dry most of the time. Any info/advice on how soon I can start running again.
Mar 2013
10:43am, 15 Mar 2013
47,702 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
now
you feel fine
:)
Mar 2013
10:50am, 15 Mar 2013
56 posts
  •  
Dooogs
I had exactly this last week - I was inaudible from more than two foot away and when I could get any noise out, I sounded like my voice was breaking (and I'm normally a baritone).

The good news is that:

a) I went running three times that week without any ill effects - I had one crap run in tha time, but that was more due to setting off too fast up a hill and not being a morning person; and
b) The laryngitis went better within 3-4 days by itself...
Mar 2013
11:01am, 15 Mar 2013
57 posts
  •  
doopy
Thanks guys :-)
Mar 2013
11:09am, 15 Mar 2013
59 posts
  •  
Dooogs
I looked up a couple of general health threads about exercising with laryngitis / head colds. The general advice seems to be that it depends if the symptoms extend below the neck. If you’re coughing and spluttering a lot, it might be worth giving yourself a rest for a few days, but if the symptoms are just in the head / throat area, it’s generally OK to run through it…*

* N.B. may not apply in all circumstances (e.g. decapitation)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by doopy
I have Laryngitis, what started out as a sore throat on Monday turned into complete loss of voice by...