Cloud 9 Hill Race

2 watchers
Feb 2013
10:11pm, 14 Feb 2013
39 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
Having entered this race in a moment of madness, just wondered what I've let myself in for! How tough is it? Will I be ok in trail shoes? Any thoughts appreciated ;-)
Feb 2013
6:03pm, 15 Feb 2013
2,969 posts
  •  
RunningBob
It's a really nice race, very friendly and no chance of getting lost really. You'll have probably seen the distinctive hill (Bosley Cloud) from the train near Congleton. It's not a bad climb up and potentially nice views. The real problem is the mile of muddy fields that you cross on the way out and back. I've experienced it knee deep in places and unless you're very lucky with a freeze it will surely be testing this year.

Trail shoes fine - mixture of paths, farm tracks, muddy field.

Did I mention the mud? Soup and cakes after at race HQ. Definitely a good race - enjoy!
Feb 2013
7:53pm, 15 Feb 2013
40 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
Thanks RB - sounds good :-) Did Charnwood Hill Race couple of weeks ago and that was seriously muddy for first mile out and back! All good fun! Might invest in some waffle-type trail shoes though, as mine are useless in mud (great on tracks/grass though!).
Feb 2013
7:51pm, 17 Feb 2013
5,819 posts
  •  
♣BelleVueRacer♣ of Beartown
Hi all

Went up Bosley Cloud today - it was spectacular.

This year, Congleton Harriers are going all modern and doing online entry only - this means no entry on the day.

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewracedetails.php?id=79933&tab=racenotes

www.congleton-harriers.co.uk/cloud9

Free soup, roll & banana to all runners. But... the home cake store! Get your entries in
Feb 2013
8:03pm, 17 Feb 2013
5,820 posts
  •  
SD - I ran it in road shoes in 2010 but would bring fell or trails with you on the day if it's not bone dry.

One thing I would say is bring full body cover. You don't really need it in my amatuer opinion (very well marshalled) but we are doing random kit checks to keep in line with FRA rules. I've queried this with the event director (I run up The Cloud regularly with nothing but my inhaler) who says bring kit. Just a bumbag with trousers, jacket, hat, whistle, gloves... Pete Bland does decent running bumbags for £12, but anything you can run with that carries stuff in that list will suffice.

Ran through the field that RB mentioned this afternoon - pretty boggy - tie your shoe laces nice and tight!
Feb 2013
10:29pm, 17 Feb 2013
41 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
Cheers - have all the gear (and hopefully some idea!) and have run a few races under FRA rules, but never had a kit check yet ;-) Really looking forward to this run :-)
Feb 2013
9:25am, 19 Feb 2013
5,821 posts
  •  
Super, follow @congletonseries for updates
Feb 2013
9:44pm, 25 Feb 2013
5,824 posts
  •  
....online entry extended to Thursday... Not quite sold out yet
Mar 2013
6:45pm, 3 Mar 2013
5,827 posts
  •  
Thanks to all who ran Cloud 9 today, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Any feedback on RW would help us greatly if you could spare a couple of minutes.

Many thanks

S

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by stilldreaming
Having entered this race in a moment of madness, just wondered what I've let myself in for! How t...