Clipless pedals

5 watchers
Jun 2011
4:15pm, 25 Jun 2011
96 posts
  •  
d87heaven
Set the pedals as loose as possible. You can get pull up type cleats rather than the twist as well. Other than that.......... you will get used to it.
Jun 2011
4:21pm, 25 Jun 2011
24,665 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
It's all in the past Lisa :)

I think learning how to fall is also good !!!

If in doubt clip it out !!!

There was a guy who stacked at the start of IMUK too but it's all down to timing I'm a bit clumsy as well
Jun 2011
4:26pm, 25 Jun 2011
981 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
I use Time pedals with the ATAC system on both my MTB and road bike (which is more of a crosser). They are really easy to get out of as, apparently, the spring tension is independent from foot retention. I don't know what this technical jargon means but I do know that I have rarely come a cropper and only on really gnarly technical rock climbs.

I liked them so much on the MTB that I bought them for the crosser. I suspect the downside is that they are less 'solid' than some of the road platforms and this may reduce their efficiency.
Jun 2011
4:34pm, 25 Jun 2011
48,209 posts
  •  
GregP
Ir I could rewind time (no pun intended) I'd probably go the same route as AnCles - at least go Time on the road bike. As it is I'm SPDs on the mountain bike and hybrid and LOOK Delta on the road bike.

This may help clear up the confusion between the systems: tinyurl.com
Jun 2011
4:36pm, 25 Jun 2011
677 posts
  •  
RichHL
I have double sided SPD pedals on my hybrid. It only took a couple of hours to get used to riding in traffic with them. I'd been worried about it so didn't use the clip side of the pedal for a about a month after I fitted them. That just seemed daft so one day I tried them and I haven't looked back since. (Metaphorically speaking. I look back all the time to check on traffic. You know what I mean.)

I'd been warned that if you set them too loose I might come out of them when you're trying to get a move on. I have no idea whether this is true or not but I have them fairly tight and have had no problems getting in or out. It's just practice.
Jun 2011
4:37pm, 25 Jun 2011
319 posts
  •  
Willymo
Why are they called clipless? Isn't the fact you have to clip in/out their defining feature?

Scratches head.
Jun 2011
4:38pm, 25 Jun 2011
48,213 posts
  •  
GregP
The other thing about SPDs, esp for the hybrid, is the two excellent Shimano touring pedals that are SPDs on one side and flatties on the other. I've got the old ones, which might be 324s - had them for at least a decade - truly excellent 'everyday' pedals for the hack bike.
Jun 2011
4:38pm, 25 Jun 2011
48,214 posts
  •  
GregP
Like public schools, Willymo ;)
Jun 2011
4:47pm, 25 Jun 2011
24,667 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I've wondered that too I just go along for the ride ;)
Jun 2011
4:49pm, 25 Jun 2011
48,216 posts
  •  
GregP
It is because there are no 'toeclips' - remember the old strappy cages?

About This Thread

Maintained by Shin-Twigs
Hi,
any tips for use of these? I've just got my first clipless pedals and shoes.
I've only fall...