Best event for a group/club outing

2 watchers
Jun 2012
3:17pm, 25 Jun 2012
12,151 posts
  •  
DeeGee
There was some talk amongst my clubmates about organising a group to a marathon next year. It would be a combination of first timers and possibly more experienced folk, and possibly some half marathonners if there was an attached event.

It would be Spring next year. And Edinburgh was strongly suggested. I think that that might meet the criteria, but can anyone think of any other events in the UK that might also do? I'd consider Amsterdam as well if Autumn was a more popular option as that's geographically convenient here on the East Coast, but no other overseas ones. Paris is just that bit too far away.

There might be families in tow as well, so something for wives/kids to do would be nice.

Any ideas?
Jun 2012
3:29pm, 25 Jun 2012
10,103 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Malta. Full, half, walkathon too, dead cheap, possibility of some sunshine, nice course.
Jun 2012
3:30pm, 25 Jun 2012
588 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Shakespeare might work. A full, a half and loads for families to do around Stratford. As long as it's not washed out like this year ( though any event is susceptible) I believe it could suit.
Jun 2012
3:40pm, 25 Jun 2012
21,771 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Moray in Sep - 10k half and full marathon all on same day
Jun 2012
3:46pm, 25 Jun 2012
17,004 posts
  •  
hammerite
I know you said no other overseas, but it's not a million miles away from the North Sea ports... Brussels - Marathon, half and mini marathon. Our club organised a trip to it last year.
Jun 2012
3:48pm, 25 Jun 2012
10,104 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Whoops, missed the no other overseas bit.

Shakey is good. Tends to be the bigger events with full and half on same day.
Jun 2012
4:01pm, 25 Jun 2012
12,152 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Shakey is very tempting in terms of my not having done it yet. Is it like Nottingham in that full and half start at the same time?

Malta would be tempting, though. It's one we'd have to make a whole week of, though...
Jun 2012
4:06pm, 25 Jun 2012
10,105 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Yep, they start at the same time.

New Forest is in the autumn but also has a full and a half starting at the same time. Nice place for a holiday too.
Jun 2012
4:16pm, 25 Jun 2012
2,680 posts
  •  
longboat
We did Amsterdam as a club outing last year and it worked well - Full, half and 8km races

Barcelona is a nice spring one

Ran the Heartbreaker in the New Forest this year - small, trial based but very scenic, and starts/finishes at a Caravan Park/Campsite, so easy accommodation as well!
Jun 2012
4:22pm, 25 Jun 2012
2,800 posts
  •  
Battlecat
Leicester in Autumn does a half, full and I think relay all at the same time

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
There was some talk amongst my clubmates about organising a group to a marathon next year. It would ...