Back to running after long break and barefoot running.

3 watchers
Nov 2014
1:49am, 19 Nov 2014
34 posts
  •  
Banjaxed
Hi everyone,
I haven't run for over two years (or done anything else) and am not in any way fit. I'm now planning to start back and was thinking that it might be a good idea to start back with vibram ff.

Back when I was running I was apprehensive of trying barefoot running because of the slowness of getting used to it. My thinking now is that seeing as I haven't run for so long, I'm back to square one anyway and will be easing myself back in slowly, so starting out as I mean to go on with barefoot running might be the way to go.

Is my thinking flawed in any way? If you think this is a good idea or if you think I'm totally wrong and should be wearing "proper" running shoes please let me know.

Thanks in advance, Banjaxed.
Nov 2014
6:26am, 19 Nov 2014
1,310 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Have you been walking in FiveFingers? I attribute my switch into them going relatively smoothly being down to the fact that I had spent a year previously wearing them as much as possible for everything but running.
As a sandal wearer
Nov 2014
6:28am, 19 Nov 2014
1,311 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
I'll ask the question, why FF?

(Sorry for the split post)
Nov 2014
2:08pm, 19 Nov 2014
35 posts
  •  
Banjaxed
Hi R.I.S,
I've no experience of barefoot shoes, Fivefingers or otherwise. I think the reason I'm thinking of FF is that they appeal to my inner quirkiness. I never thought of getting them for anything else but running but now that you mention it. maybe I should get them anyway and if they don't work out as suiting me for running, I'll have a great pair of sandals!

As for the running, as I said before I'm back to square one and will be taking things very easy as I ease myself back into running. At 55 it will take a lot of easing. I thought this would be a good time to get used to barefoot running as I will be concentrating on not overdoing things.
Nov 2014
8:22pm, 19 Nov 2014
1,312 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Don't get me wrong. I like five fingers. But they are expensive and difficult to size. So as an experiment they might not be the best thing. That said, I have run up to 100 km in them and they have their place. Xero shoes sandals are a fraction of the cost for your first foray. Actos shoes are also cheap and available from the far East, but be prepared to be an xxxxxl size ;-) The Actos are more shoe like but not that durable. I like them for general non running use along with my Spyridons.
Jan 2020
12:09pm, 6 Jan 2020
183 posts
  •  
Barefoot Em
Another vote for Xero's, I've run all kinds of distances in mine :)
Mar 2020
11:17am, 16 Mar 2020
9 posts
  •  
AndyS
I had an enforced break at the beginning of 2019 due to knee surgery, and took the opportunity to try out Vivobarefoots - and I really like them. I wore them for walking about in for about 3 months before my first run in them, and gradually transitioned to them for everything up to around 10k. Since I made the switch, my running technique has changed and that's been a contributing factor to the fact that in the last 9 months or so, I've achieved significant PBs at 5k, 3.5 miles, 10k, HM and 26.2 (i.e. every distance I've raced).

So I'd say, yes - go for it - but learn to walk in them before you run in them.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Banjaxed
Hi everyone,
I haven't run for over two years (or done anything else) and am not in any way fit. I...