A question about broadband speeds

2 watchers
Nov 2018
1:41pm, 28 Nov 2018
7,618 posts
  •  
GordonG
Hi

At home I’m supposed to be getting something like 100mbs broadband speed. Checking at various points during the day, I never get more than about 30mbs so I’m thinking about changing.

If I was to buy a package of 50mbs would I still get 30mbs? Or given that I’m currently receiving about one third of the advertised speed, if I purchased a 50mbs package would I end up with about 17mbs?

Anyone know how it works?

ta
um
Nov 2018
1:50pm, 28 Nov 2018
618 posts
  •  
um
Hi Gordon
Couple of questions ..
- do you know how you are connected? (FTTx ?)
- how are you doing the speed test? (is it constrained by wifi, VPN or anything else?)

It may well be that 30 is the max - and typically, any ISP will use the same core cabling - so switching is unlikely to make much difference.
Can you share (or fmail?) your postcode, and I should be able to take a look at connectivity & speeds in that area. Of course, no worries if you don't want to ...
Nov 2018
1:57pm, 28 Nov 2018
20,340 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
If you're using Wifi, it's worth trying a wired connection to eliminate it as a potential bottleneck; and worth considering whether anyone else at home might be using it (including your telly box, which might be downloading content / updates at any time).

Usually there's small print about whether the advertised speeds are a maximum, an average, or something that they can guarantee for a certain proportion of time.
Nov 2018
2:21pm, 28 Nov 2018
7,619 posts
  •  
GordonG
thanks both for your replies.

UM - don't know, but i'm happy to fmail you my post code (FWIW, according to broadbandchecker, 20 - 30 is about average for my area). have only tested using broadbandspeed checker, and Virgin's recommended app.

And i'll give it a go tonight using a wired connection.

if 30 is the max i can get then so be it. But if i can pay for "50" and get 30, i don't see why i should pay for "100" and get 30 if it makes no difference to speed or any other aspect.
um
Nov 2018
6:24pm, 28 Nov 2018
619 posts
  •  
um
[ Funnily enough, I spent the first 3 years of my life a few 100 yards round the corner from you. My grandparents lived in Nursery Ave from 1930's, I lived there until 1958, and visited regularly until mid 1980's. ]

But - internet speed - most of the deals and suppliers seem to offer around 35mb. There are some offering 50-70 ish.
I'd check (as Fetch said) a hard wire connection - and a few different servers. Also check no-one is downloading or streaming a film at the same time ... and also ask your current supplier (a) what connection you're on and (b) why do you only get 30 on a 100 contract. Be ready for waffle, but you look to be in a fairly well connected area.

I'm assuming you're suing the std BT/Openreach network rather than any special cable/fibre to the house deal?
Speedtest - I use Oookla ( speedtest.net )

Good luck !
Nov 2018
6:54pm, 28 Nov 2018
7,620 posts
  •  
GordonG
small world!

thanks for all the advice. re the network, it's Virgin fibre optics, if that makes any difference.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GordonG
Hi

At home I’m supposed to be getting something like 100mbs broadband speed. Checking at vario...