Yes, a thread on osteopathy...

3 watchers
Jan 2013
12:17pm, 15 Jan 2013
67 posts
  •  
50ft jesus
Nellers
Cranial osteopathy was, bizarrely, recommended by a self confessed white witch I know. The 'laying-on' of hands is how I refer to it, it is more laying on top of hands, I lie down and she puts her hands under my hip, she may move her hands ever so slightly but the next day the area is slightly sore but the day after that I'm sorted.

I recommended my osteo to a friend who is a MMA fighter who, after one particular unpleasant defeat, was unable to lift one of his arms above his head and had lost a lot of strength punching with it. After two or three sessions he was back in the 'cage' and winning. Neither of us have felt any manipulation of bones/muscle/tissue during treatment but we both agree it has helped us.

I understand my body more than ever since running and I know when something isn't quite right. I use an osteo if I 'feel' my bones are out sync and have a deep tissue massage if I 'feel' my muscles are tightening up.
Jan 2013
1:49pm, 15 Jan 2013
6,496 posts
  •  
KatieB
Teaboy...I said there had been studies on acupuncture *and* there are scientific theories about how it works(pain gate and endorphin release)...I didn't say it had been proven to work. I've just been on a joint mobilisation course which would probably be viewed by most as more effective/scientific than Acupuncture but I'm not sure how it would come out if there was a paper review....it's a huge discussion going on at the moment on Physio forums...I think one thing can work very well for one person especially if they believe in it, and equally not work for another.

We're all different, innit?
Jan 2013
1:50pm, 15 Jan 2013
6,497 posts
  •  
KatieB
And also as Lyns pointed out, the therapist has to be effective...and that can vary hugely.
Jan 2013
1:53pm, 15 Jan 2013
14,727 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
There is evidence for acupuncture in pain, and it is as good as many drugs for post-operative nausea and vomiting.
Jan 2013
1:56pm, 15 Jan 2013
6,498 posts
  •  
KatieB
I've certainly had excellent results with Acupuncture in the past with pain, I don't use it currently because my CPD isn't up to date and I'm not allowed a needle license in Bedford unfortunately.

I haven't looked at any recent evidence so I couldn't comment as to whether it's been proven or not, I'm not disagreeing with you Johnny, I just haven't looked at it. :-)
Jan 2013
2:19pm, 15 Jan 2013
4,484 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
Katie, quite...

Not a scientific study, but a nice appraisal:

huffingtonpost.com

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kendo!
So... sore back, physio hasn't fixed it, trying something else... but i've just had the weirdest h...