Which spikes?

2 watchers
Sep 2013
12:44pm, 6 Sep 2013
14,782 posts
  •  
DeeGee
After my long-awaited Cross-Country debut last year, I'm kind of planning to run more this winter when my own calendar allows.

I don't own spikes but guess it's a good idea.

I might not be able to get down to Lincoln to see Keith before the season, or I might go to Start next weekend or something.

What should I be looking out for. I want to spend virtually nothing if at all possible. Any suggestions?
Sep 2013
1:00pm, 6 Sep 2013
2,399 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
As there is very little to a cross country spike, they are all much the same. Look for something that fits well, not tight, but certainly not too roomy and buy spike sof varying lengths.
Sep 2013
7:31pm, 8 Sep 2013
86 posts
  •  
doopy
Fell or studded shoes are good alternatives to spikes, especially on a not too muddy course.
Sep 2013
8:06pm, 8 Sep 2013
967 posts
  •  
SuperDave
I found I was spoilt for choice last year when buying my first pair. My local shop had about 5 pairs all reduced to around £35, I ended up with these wiggle.co.uk . I have wide feet and was worried they'd be really tight but they fit nice, snug like a sock. Having done xc in fell shoes I found the spikes much faster and lighter, but of course they are awful on tarmac so check the course first.
Sep 2013
8:10pm, 8 Sep 2013
968 posts
  •  
SuperDave
Oh and I got ones with 6 spikes, some only have 4 per shoe. Buy different length spikes too for different conditions and a quality spike removal tool (the one I got with my shoes broke on first use).
Sep 2013
8:27pm, 8 Sep 2013
14,789 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'll have a look in Northern Runner and Start this weekend then.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
After my long-awaited Cross-Country debut last year, I'm kind of planning to run more this winter w...