Whey protein, recovery drinks and all that stuff

3 watchers
Mar 2017
2:22pm, 8 Mar 2017
701 posts
  •  
Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Up until the 80s the only person you found eating whey was Little Miss Muffet, it was a waste dairy product. Then whey protein was found to be rapidly absorbed & have a high bio availability, hey presto a multi million pound industry was born.

MM, I guess you've found opinions vary widely on whether to supplement or not and what to supplement with, that's because if you're going to supplement it takes trial and error to find out what works for you. What will work for you won't work for anyone else & vice versa. There have been some sage opinions and points made so far on this thread specifically about supplementation being exactly that. It should only be used to make up a short fall in your diet. Get your nutrients from food first.

Having said that, I supplement like a muthafukka, I probably take more in a day than most people on here take in a month. That's what works for me & I'm entirely unapologetic about it 😀😀😀
Mar 2017
2:55pm, 8 Mar 2017
35,743 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
When it comes down to it, nobody is likely to come to any harm from supplementing with protein shakes and bars (give or take a dose of the squits from the artificial sweeteners that are in a lot of these products) apart from people with certain medical conditions. There's a limit to the rate at which protein can be used by the body and excess can't be stored, but we're quite good at breaking it down, burning the carbon skeletons for fuel, and peeing out the side chains and, contrary to what you may hear, this process is unlikely to result in you ending up on kidney dialysis.
Mar 2017
2:56pm, 8 Mar 2017
35,744 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
(I'd still rather have a scone and cheese or a fish supper after a run, though.)
Mar 2017
3:05pm, 8 Mar 2017
702 posts
  •  
Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Prof Stuart Phillips from McMaster Uni in Hamilton has been quite vocal about the dialysis thing. He did a whole tweet storm on it 😀. I've been looking at some stuff around pre sleep protein ingestion for increasing muscle response to training & some other stuff (mainly f on the knuckle dragged Press, but some from Dr Israetel) about how max protein ingestion maybe twice as high as previously thought at 1g per pound of body weight per day.
Mar 2017
3:24pm, 8 Mar 2017
703 posts
  •  
Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Fish supper as in fish & chips? Now you're talking proper supplementation.
Mar 2017
3:30pm, 8 Mar 2017
35,746 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Or a cheat day for a strength athlete and a normal dinner for a marathon runner ;)
Mar 2017
10:45pm, 8 Mar 2017
85 posts
  •  
MrMole
The joys of cardio! Your answers seem to confirm what I thought which is good. I'm definitely going to start with the nesquik as a recovery drink, I appreciate the help
Mar 2017
10:31am, 9 Mar 2017
704 posts
  •  
Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Cheat day? Nah, it's got protein, fat & carbohydrate all you need is marrow bone jelly and you've got a complete meal. Or am I getting things confused with PAL?
Mar 2017
2:51pm, 9 Mar 2017
35,753 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Palatable, readily-available milkshake drinks are ideal for post-run recovery, with a mixture of different sugars and a small amount of protein. Though I'd still rather have a scone and cheese ;)

CMR, I have no idea, but the prospect of marrow bone jelly wouldn't get me into the garage to play with the sticks and discs. I think I may not have a proper grip on this sports nutrition malarkey yet ;)
J2R
Mar 2017
2:50pm, 10 Mar 2017
336 posts
  •  
J2R
I'm all in favour of proper food myself. Nonetheless, if there is any truth in the notion that one's body responds particularly well to a (1:4) protein and carb blend taken within 30 minutes of hard exercise, then whey powder certainly makes this more practical, and I do use it from time to time (although I often just have a big glass of milk, which probably gives much the same benefits).

In the olden days, long, long ago, I suppose our protein after hard exercise would have come from gnawing on the prey we'd just hunted down, so there could be some evolutionary connection here.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by MrMole
Just wondering what the wider fetch community does in this regard. I've always thought all the whe...