"Steady" pace

3 watchers
Feb 2012
10:56am, 15 Feb 2012
2 posts
  •  
mittuck
Today I began following BUPA's 10km Training Programme in preparation for a 10k I am looking to do in April. I'm relatively fit, having started running again at the start of the new year, so began at week four of the twelve week programme (there is only eight weeks to go to the race).

My questions relate to some of the training methods and, more specifically, the paces at which I should be doing them. At the minute I'm doing between 3 and 6.5 miles at between 6.30min/miles and 6.45min/miles but this is kind of just as fast as I can take given my condition at the time of the run and usually with little warm-up.

The training plan has 'STEADY', 'TEMPO', 'EASY' and 'LONG' runs involved (as well as hill and interval training). How fast should I be attempting these run? I slowed down this morning - my first day on the plan - for a '5 MILE STEADY' run to 7min/miles. Is this about right? would anybody be able to tell me any paces I should be aiming for at 'EASY', 'STEADY', 'LONG' and 'TEMPO' given my current pace and my desire to complete the 10km in around 38mins.

Apologies if these questions are stupid, I'm not converse in proper running training as previously I have just put my trainers on and ran as fast as my fitness allows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Michael
Feb 2012
10:59am, 15 Feb 2012
3,123 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Hello mittuck

mcmillanrunning.com the McMillan pace calculator is a place lots of people go to look at how fast to run in training. Plug in your best race time and away you go. The ranges of paces are given so you can vary as to how you feel on the day and the route you take.
Feb 2012
11:18am, 15 Feb 2012
2,204 posts
  •  
daviec
For a 38m 10k I'd be looking at easy runs of about 8.00-8.30/mile, long runs at about 7.45-8.00/mile, and tempo at about 6.30-6.40/mile. Steady at about 7s seems fair enough.
Feb 2012
11:20am, 15 Feb 2012
2,205 posts
  •  
daviec
I should point out that that's only useful if you are actually in 38 min 10k shape. IMO you should train at the right effort for your present fitness, and you're training will determine your race pace on the day. For me that means training to heart rate.
Feb 2012
11:40am, 15 Feb 2012
3 posts
  •  
mittuck
Thank you for your replies, they're much appreciated.

I note you comment, daviec. The paces you state are about what I'm running at right now so I'm guessing I'm in ok shape to persevere and hopefully push these.

Thanks again
Michael
Feb 2012
11:42am, 15 Feb 2012
2,206 posts
  •  
daviec
Good stuff. Best of luck :)
Feb 2012
12:01pm, 15 Feb 2012
3 posts
  •  
Rodney
have a look through these links... should help... they relate to the Jack Daniels theory.

attackpoint.org

coacheseducation.com

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by mittuck
Today I began following BUPA's 10km Training Programme in preparation for a 10k I am looking to do ...