Speeding up for a half-marathon

10 watchers
Feb 2013
9:57pm, 22 Feb 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
rkenyavic
Hello all,
Im new here - so hello :) Ive been running for a couple of years, but only got more 'serious' about it last summer when I did a couple of half marathons in October and then November. I then joined my local running club and have been going for three months now and thoroughly enjoying it. Ive kept myself half marathon fit by putting in a long run most weekends as well as my club sessions and have got my time down from 2.18 (November) to 2.06 when i ran a makeshift route the other week just to see where I was at. Ive now signed up for one half marathon in each of March, April and May and the next one is in just over two weeks time. I'd really like to break the 2 hour mark - although this next one is very hilly - the April and May ones are well known for being flat and quick, so im thinking it will probably be at one of the latter two. Anyway, I would love to hear any advice for training that I can do to speed me up a bit - as im a little lost as to what I should really be aiming for pace-wise, and also whether I should be doing more threshold running/hills etc. Just a bit of (possibly useful info) - my 5k time is 24 mins, 10k time 51mins - any advice much appreciated! Many thanks!
Feb 2013
10:00pm, 22 Feb 2013
7,497 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Woa! Look at all these first time posters! Welcome! You are about to be bombarded with several hundred opinions.

All different. :-)
Feb 2013
10:03pm, 22 Feb 2013
7,498 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
I will start you off. WELL DONE!!! Awesome start! Most people would start with 5k or that kind of thing. Or the London Marathon on NO preparation.

:-)

Personal view is to do training over nice long distances and aim to get faster through each session. Have Garmin? Know where the mile points are on your regular route? Keep records and keep pushing the envelope.

This is not a universal opinion.
Feb 2013
10:09pm, 22 Feb 2013
7,499 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Several hundred, minus one, to go. Watch this space.
Feb 2013
10:09pm, 22 Feb 2013
7,500 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Any second now.....
Feb 2013
10:19pm, 22 Feb 2013
3,031 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
Welcome to fetch, rken! Hill reps are the work of the devil, but I'm promised that they will definitely pay off in making you stronger (and thus faster) over longer distances. Also (I'm told) I should be doing some more speedwork sessions to get my legs used to the idea of running faster.
Come May, I'll know if this advice is correct or if my clubmates have just been having a laugh at my expense :-)

Good luck!
Feb 2013
10:21pm, 22 Feb 2013
12,448 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Welcome to FE :-)

Can you let us know a bit more about the sort of training you're doing at the moment? I.e length of long runs, and the sort of midweek stuff you're doing?
Feb 2013
10:25pm, 22 Feb 2013
8,199 posts
  •  
oceanspirit
Lovely thread....I'm looking to improve my half marathon time as well but have given myself September as my target.

I'm sure getting faster has something to do with speed work once you get used to running a particular distance for some time.

Love to hear all the suggestions as it'll probably,hopefully help me as well.

:-)
Feb 2013
10:28pm, 22 Feb 2013
2 posts
  •  
rkenyavic
Thanks for the welcomes! My long runs are normally 8-12 miles at somewhere between 9.20 and 10min/mile pace. I generally try to go to both of my sessions at the club each week or do an easy run of about 3-6 miles if i miss a session (at about 8min/mile pace for the 3 milers, or 8.30 for 5+). Sessions vary but are generally things like tempo runs, tempo surges, fartlek, pyramids, occasionally with some hills/jogging up stairs. The core of each session generally lasts about 30mins with 15min warm up and warm down jogs and stretching.
Feb 2013
10:29pm, 22 Feb 2013
4,573 posts
  •  
becca7
Welcome to Fetch. I agree that it would be helpful to know a bit more about what types of training you are doing at the moment. Sub 2 certainly sounds achievable for you. Your race times over shorter distances suggest that you have enough speed and your long runs will help your endurance, in particular if you can build up to longer than half marathon distance.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hello all,
Im new here - so hello :) Ive been running for a couple of years, but only got more 's...