Speed Endurance

0 watcher
Jun 2017
3:52pm, 10 Jun 2017
6 posts
  •  
Jimmyhaigh
Hi everyone, just wanted to see what you all think about building speed Endurance.

My 1500m PB is 4:40 which suggests I can do a 5min mile, and I can run a mile fairly easily in 5:20. Obviously doing 5k at 5:20 pace is 16:30 ish which is a minute quicker than my PB. However it has been suggested to me doing "race pace runs" to build up the distance I can run at that speed, e.g. Doing. 1.5 miles and then eventually 2 miles at 5:20 pace, and obviously gradually building it up.

I know this will be hard to do and will take some time, but is this reasonable for a healthy 20 year old male?
Whenever I do a 5k race I can do the first mile fast, but after that my pace decreases rapidly. I've tired setting off slower but it still has the same effect.

Perhaps I'm naive, but my logic is that if I can build up the said Endurance by the method above, surely a 34 min10k is possible?!

Thanks
Jun 2017
10:05pm, 11 Jun 2017
7 posts
  •  
Jimmyhaigh
Bump
Jun 2017
10:30pm, 11 Jun 2017
697 posts
  •  
loki
I'm nothing like as fast as you, so take these suggestions with the appropriate amount of salt.

Traditionally, the advice is to run shorter distances faster than target pace and longer distances slower. Then you kind of pull it together with your taper and so on at your target race.

The other thing that might be worth trying - has helped me take 2 minutes off my 5k over the last few months since I've been doing it - is doing 5ks worth of intervals at target pace and gradually reducing the recoveries - so I started with 13 x 400m with 1 min/100m recoveries, now down to 30s recoveries, next will be 9 x 600m and so on.

It's worth trying a few things, see what works for you, and there probably isn't one single workout that's going to max out your performance against your potential.

Good luck
Jun 2017
3:22pm, 12 Jun 2017
8 posts
  •  
Jimmyhaigh
Thanks for your reply

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jimmyhaigh
Hi everyone, just wanted to see what you all think about building speed Endurance.

My 1500m PB is...