Search engine help

1 watcher
Jul 2016
1:36pm, 10 Jul 2016
2,617 posts
  •  
Icelandic Trigirl
I've been in China for 24 hours and am here for a week for work. However, there is, shall we say, limitation of internet activities and a number of sites do not operate. Fetch, fortunately, does, which is a mixed blessing as it is too hot to run and I forgot to get my Hepatitis shot so don't want to take my chances swimming hence I won't be logging any training this week.

There is a google.cn site and I can get to its home page but it won't actually search anything! I cannot find any search engine because none of the ones I can think of work.

Can some kind person please do a quick search and find out what the homepage of the/a chinese search engine is so that I can use it to find out some stuff! Like where the hell I am and how I might get from this place to another place, should I ever feel the need.

I have a faint memory that China does have its own search engine but I cannot find it without a functioning search engine to look for it! In theory google.cn should work but doesn't. Facebook is not accessible either.

Oh, and despite staying in the University's "international exchange centre" noone speaks English and it isn't worth my time trying to explain to half a dozen people at reception what I need! (And I cannot complain because it's their country and my crapness for not having learned any Mandarin.)

Answers on a reply please....
Jul 2016
1:59pm, 10 Jul 2016
14,898 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Google comes up with www.baidu.com - is that any good?
Jul 2016
5:04am, 11 Jul 2016
2,618 posts
  •  
Icelandic Trigirl
Yes! baidu.cn seems to work, albeit and 'edited' search...
Jul 2016
5:04am, 11 Jul 2016
2,619 posts
  •  
Icelandic Trigirl
Yes! baidu.cn seems to work, albeit and 'edited' search...

Thanks a lot!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

I've been in China for 24 hours and am here for a week for work. However, there is, shall we say, l...