RANT - Don bankrupt your local running shop

8 watchers
Jan 2013
4:08pm, 19 Jan 2013
162 posts
  •  
southcoastclaret
Used to live near Bourne Sports & go in a fair bit. It is a while back, but whilst they had loads of stuff it was always pretty haphazard and the service you got was very variable. Having moved away I tried a couple of times buying mail order/internet and had the worst service of any for this type of transaction. I haven't touched them with a barge pole since. Perhaps they are going under because they are not providing a decent service?
Jan 2013
4:24pm, 19 Jan 2013
10,613 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
My last pairs of trainers came from v-rap (err she had a stockpile!), sweatshop and elBee.
My local shop is 30mins drive away in Loughborough and I would have no other reason to go there.
If I am in Leicester (err been twice in 8yrs) I would use sweatshop again.
I use my local bike shop the whole time (especially now with IM training) but most of my kit comes from wiggle, sports bras from Less bounce (you can't get the ones I use in any shops)
I will need some trainers this year and as Nike don't do my percepts anymore (hence why I bought off vrap!) I will have to look about so will go into a shop and will buy from them
Jan 2013
12:38am, 24 Jan 2013
69 posts
  •  
Bikermouse
I have bought kit online and returned it to get a different size no problems. Was still a faster service than waiting until I could travel to a dedicated shop that may or may not have stocked what I wanted in my size.

Actually come across a very different approach - taking your product to your customers. Visiting clubs, setting up stands at local races. Allowing folk to try on shoes and buy then and there or later online.

I buy nearly everything online, i prefer the online shopping experience. There is plenty of advice available about products esp if you read running blogs.

It's not just running kit, it's everything except food that I buy online. I can get the product I want rather than not at all or something that's not quite right.
Jan 2013
7:02am, 24 Jan 2013
3,591 posts
  •  
Jambomo
My trainers have all came from El Bee online :) knowledgeable and good service ( it's a shame they can't continue :( )
May 2020
2:49pm, 15 May 2020
33,322 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Three new pairs of shoes ordered this month (well, my justification is I'm not spending on anything else and the old pairs were all well past their maximum mileage!) from my brilliant local "bricks 'n' mortar" Up & Running store.

The shop is closed, but according to the owner is one of only a small handful of their stores doing some mail order business online. He always tries to get me last year's model at a discount and his enquiries to other stores about stock went almost universally unanswered. But one of my new pairs was successfully obtained from the Isle of Man!!
May 2020
3:04pm, 15 May 2020
1,712 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Just taken ownership of some new shoes for me and for my daughter from Pete Blands in Kendal who have also kept their online business going while the store is closed. I say 'ownership' rather than 'delivery' as it was easy for me to collect them from the shop and thus save them from having to incur the cost of free to me postage. Every little helps as someone once said.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by M62 Santa
Heard a rumour that Bourne Sports will go under soon. Been in oplenty of times, great shoip great se...