My GPS thinks Im Usain Bolt

1 watcher
Mar 2013
1:20pm, 15 Mar 2013
24 posts
  •  
Toadie
Hmm. Having a few weird issues when I use GPS iPhone apps (both Runkeeper and Endomodo). Every time I try to track my run, it tells me I run my first kilometre in under two minutes. Obviously this is flattering but, y'know, wrong (sadly). Is there some bizarre satellite spinning just above my head? I'm pretty new to using these apps. Am I doing something really stupid? Apart from using the apps in the first place. But they are free and my garmin is broken.
Mar 2013
1:24pm, 15 Mar 2013
15,616 posts
  •  
sheri3004
It has happened to me occasionally but that's weird if it happens every time :/

Mind you I have only used Runkeeper once and it said I had run something ridiculous like 32 miles when I had actually run 8....

My Garmin occasionally goes doolally and clocks stupidly fast times, I once accidentally uploaded it and someone I don't know sent me a sarky fmail about how fast I suddenly was :/

Does it do it wherever you are or only if you start from home?
Mar 2013
1:36pm, 15 Mar 2013
25 posts
  •  
Toadie
I've only had the chance to start from home so far, so haven't been able to test it out. Might start off from somewhere else next week and see what happens... I hope it doesn't start happening with my Garmin (though I may actually have to get a new Garmin if mine doesn't decide to start turning on again.)

I'm new to GPS in general, having only had the Garmin since Christmas, but so far it's all given me way more hassle than joy!
Mar 2013
1:41pm, 15 Mar 2013
4,446 posts
  •  
Big Al Widepants
I read this as "my GPs think I'm Usain Bolt". What have you been telling them at the surgery...
Mar 2013
1:50pm, 15 Mar 2013
6,081 posts
  •  
Diogenes
That made me laugh Al.

I used runkeeper once and had a similar issue with positioning that indicated I was running much further (and therefore faster) than I actually was. I guess the GPS sensors in the phone aren't great.?
Mar 2013
1:50pm, 15 Mar 2013
15,619 posts
  •  
sheri3004
So did I to begin with :)

Toadie - I sometimes find I need to give it a bit longer to lock on properly, especially if it's a cloudy day....
Mar 2013
2:16pm, 15 Mar 2013
26 posts
  •  
Toadie
Ha! AI, I've been showing them my enormous muscles and zany clubbing stories and they drew their own conclusions.

I think maybe you're right, Diogenes, that the phone's GPS is probably just not up to scratch. But I sometimes use it as a SatNav when driving and it seems pretty good then - though I guess a car is maybe easier to track than a person?

I'll give it longer to lock on when I go out tomorrow and see what happens.
Mar 2013
2:17pm, 15 Mar 2013
3,619 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Mine thinks I am Fatty Arbuckle

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Toadie
Hmm. Having a few weird issues when I use GPS iPhone apps (both Runkeeper and Endomodo). Every time ...