Large blister and continuing to run

1 watcher
Mar 2012
1:22pm, 16 Mar 2012
21 posts
  •  
funkyplates
I did the Silverstone Half at the weekend and ended up with a large (3inch x 1inch) blister on my left arch.

It hadn't popped during the race so after some research I popped it and drained it the next day. I bought some new 1000 mile socks and Body Glide to try and help prevent future problems. The problem is I plan to do a 10 mile+ run tomorrow and after doing 5k yesterday I'm not sure how to protect the area and not make it worse.

Many Thanks for any advice

Lee
Mar 2012
1:25pm, 16 Mar 2012
12,062 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Tegaderm/membrane type dressing or compeed/duderm if there is any fluid in it.
Then tape over the top.
Mar 2012
1:25pm, 16 Mar 2012
1,740 posts
  •  
clairevmc
Hiya,

I used to get huge blisters like you describe on the arches of my feet. What worked for me was putting elastoplast tape (not plasters, just the tape bit - you can buy rolls of it in a chemist) on the area to prevent further rubbing. You'll need to wait for it to heal up first though. Try compeed plasters until it heals, then switch to tape.
Mar 2012
4:40pm, 20 Mar 2012
23 posts
  •  
funkyplates
Thanks guys, invested in some compeed and tape. Patched it up on Saturday and was going well but thigh started playing up at mile 5 so only did 10k rather than 10 miles. If its not one thing, it's another! This marathon training isn't going to plan!! Oh well, will try again next weekend. Thanks for your replies....

Lee
Apr 2012
12:07pm, 23 Apr 2012
33 posts
  •  
funkyplates
Ok Guys, I need some more advice please. Did a long run on Saturday (18 miles XC) and used some new tape that I had bought from a well known high street chemist, at half way it felt wrong so took trainer off and then peeled sock down, only to find the tape all ripped and sticking to sock. Had to remove it. Ended up with more blisters (despite also using my 'blister proof' 1000 miles socks). Need to find a more robust/stickier tape. Have looked at Leukotape, is this the best bet? My blisters only appear on my left arch and ball of both feet).

Many Thanks

Lee
Apr 2012
4:07pm, 25 Apr 2012
882 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
Lee, as hard as it will be, I would avoid running on it until the skin has at least healed over enough to not be painful.

I used to think people were wimps when they whinged about blisters as I never get them but had one a few years ago and the skin was so raw and sore I couldn't even walk on it. The only thing that helped was keeping it clean, dry and not running on it!

You don't want to keep rubbing it and making the skin even rawer. Give it a salt bath to ensure it's clean and avoid any infections.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by FunkyPOM
I did the Silverstone Half at the weekend and ended up with a large (3inch x 1inch) blister on my le...