How do you find a coach?

4 watchers
May 2013
9:45am, 20 May 2013
3,956 posts
  •  
Iron_Mum
Mr IM has offered to buy me a few coaching sessions for my birthday, but the only coaches that have been recommended to me for my kind of running are a bit inconveniently far away. By 'my kind of running', I mean I am never going to be a track star - I just want someone who will work with me on form, help me focus and get the most out of the relatively limited training I can fit into my week, and help me with my mental game too. Any recommendations for coaches in the Basingstoke/Reading area? and/or thoughts on how to go about finding such a coach? (And don't say 'Start a thread on Fetch...')

Ta.
May 2013
12:06pm, 20 May 2013
2,338 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
bump for the lunchtime crowd. Recommendations from local runners worked for me but I'm at the opposite end of the country to you so there's not much point in telling you about the coach I saw :)
May 2013
12:11pm, 20 May 2013
10,421 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
have you tried looking at your local running clubs.? I'm sure there are several well established running clubs in the Basingstoke/Reading area who have volunteer coaches that will be willing/able to assist.
May 2013
12:15pm, 20 May 2013
19,013 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
I recommend getting the tube to Victoria - there are literally 100's of coaches there. :-)
May 2013
12:16pm, 20 May 2013
5,849 posts
  •  
simbil
Not a million miles away, Julian Goater is an excellent coach in Farnham feelgood-factors.com He tends to go for quality over quantity type sessions and does some session from the lookout, Bracknel way.

For something more local, maybe get some recommendations from your local clubs as sod says?
May 2013
12:51pm, 20 May 2013
3,957 posts
  •  
Iron_Mum
Badoom tish, BCRB...

Thanks simbil, he's one of the two that've been recommended (the other is Karen Weir) - might just drop him a line. It's not a million miles, as you say...
SODIron I did think of that but quite keen to get recommendations, I'm qualified volunteer running coach myself so want to get someone who really knows his/her stuff and can make a big difference in a relatively few sessions.
May 2013
1:02pm, 20 May 2013
10,422 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
It's always good to garner someone else's opinions etc...and there's nothing as powerful as an unbiased recommendation. Good luck with the research...
May 2013
1:04pm, 20 May 2013
67,389 posts
  •  
GregP
Off the wall, I know, but triathlon has a more coach-focused culture than vanilla running. May be worth talking to your local tri club?
May 2013
1:06pm, 20 May 2013
11,164 posts
  •  
RuthB2
feelgood-factors.com

Highly recommended. Everyone's style and requirements are different, but definitely go and have a chat to him.
May 2013
1:08pm, 20 May 2013
67,390 posts
  •  
GregP
Looks like a good call Ruth.

Good thread, IroMu. Think this one will be around for a while.

About This Thread

Maintained by Iron_Mum
Mr IM has offered to buy me a few coaching sessions for my birthday, but the only coaches that have ...