Hip problems - Labral tear repaired now told I have sciatica

4 watchers
Jan 2015
9:56am, 7 Jan 2015
5,269 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Minni - mine was triggered by poor sleeping position & stress - on two particular occasions when I was nearly immobilised it was so painful, it followed a night when youngest child had come into bed with us & I'd ended up sleeping in a cramped way. I have a long history of suffering tension in my lower back when I get stressed or tense. It was exacerbated by very weak abdominal muscles - which I didn't really appreciate until I did some personal training. Once it was explained how much extra work my back was doing to compensate it made sense - so I am a core training devotee!
Jan 2015
10:04am, 7 Jan 2015
17 posts
  •  
Minni
That's really interesting Autumleaves. I think I've also always suffered from tension in my lower back. Whenever I fly I have a tight and sore lower back for a few days after - I wouldn't say I'm scared of flying but I do always feel a bit tense. Maybe this is something I should have paid more attention to.
Jan 2015
11:03am, 7 Jan 2015
32 posts
  •  
PeeG
I had sciatica in 2013 and flare ups of it again last year after a car crash. In 2013, I had it where I even struggled to run a few yards because it felt like legs were very tight with the cause coming from the back. Had numbness in toes and in bum. Much of it came down to poor flexibility and then being kicked off by a slipped disc. It was physio that basically cleared it all though. Going weekly with them essentially manipulating by back and regular exercises helped clear it though. A good physio should know what to do with it to help sort it.
Jan 2015
11:48am, 7 Jan 2015
10,466 posts
  •  
jennywren
The pain I have is mostly in the top of the thigh but the side of the hip (around the gluteus medius) is often tender and my leg is incredibly stiff and inflexible on that side. I do stretching and I roll on an evil plastic roller with nobbles on most days. The roller has the most effect - it hurts but it definitely loosens the muscles around the hip. I'm guessing they are tightening up to protect what's going on underneath, but that's the bit that remains undiagnosed.

I have a referral to the hip clinic now for 22nd January, which is quite quick so I'm pleased.
Jan 2015
11:52am, 7 Jan 2015
18 posts
  •  
Minni
That is great news Jenny. I found once I got to the hip clinic things worked quickly.

PeeG - Do you do daily exercises to keep it under control now?
Jan 2015
2:03pm, 7 Jan 2015
33 posts
  •  
PeeG
Minni, I don't do them regularly, but I really should. I have been doing more stretching and exercises pre and post exercise though to help. Part of the issue arises from having a desk job and therefore spending a lot of the day sat down.

That sitting down was increased by doing a lot of cycling in the lead up to getting sciatica in 2013.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Minni
Hi I'm wondering if anyone can give any advice on my ailments!

I have been suffering from hip p...