Hip bursitis?

1 watcher
Jul 2011
12:12pm, 9 Jul 2011
3,682 posts
  •  
The Terminator
Right hip started hurting during run the other day and got progressively worse until the point I had to stop, eases off lots when stopped but can still feel the ache, running is impossible though. Sort of radiates up into stomach too? I know nothing but a read through sports injury clinic suggests possibly hip bursitis or could it be ITB related?

Any advice appreciated (CT?) on actual diagnosis, recovery, stretches and what cross training I can do in mean time.

Ta
Jul 2011
12:26pm, 9 Jul 2011
943 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
I was out for hip bursitis for 6 months but didn't get any pain up into my stomach. Does it hurt when you lie on that side? Does it feel tender to touch?
My GP and then a consultant tried cortisone injections for me which didn't work. What sorted it in the end was a good physio - lots of massage, ultra sound, and ITB-like stretches and glute/piriformis/hip flexor strengthening exercises (you might not need those though).
She also advised rubbing in ibuprofen gel.
As far as cross-training is concerned, I was told to do anything that didn't aggravate it - which is quite difficult so you'll just have to work out what hurts and what doesn't, I think.
Jul 2011
2:09pm, 9 Jul 2011
322 posts
  •  
Lisa T
Possibly piriformis??? This can radiate into pelvis area. I have problems with this from time to time. Can generally detect a tight knot in glute which I can massage out & relieve some of the pain. As SarahWoo said though, best to get it checked out by physio so you get the right treatment.
Jul 2011
2:36pm, 9 Jul 2011
9,635 posts
  •  
LLL the number 1
Does it hurt at night in bed ???
Jul 2011
4:41pm, 9 Jul 2011
3,683 posts
  •  
The Terminator
Doesn't hurt in bed or have many of symptoms SW asked about. Just got bike out of storage and was fine when riding? Prob not bursitis? Will look at piroformis now...

Thanks everyone
Jul 2011
4:56pm, 9 Jul 2011
944 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
You're right then I reckon, TT - doesn't sound like bursitis. There are lots of stretches/exercises for piriformis.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by MaT.T
Right hip started hurting during run the other day and got progressively worse until the point I had...