Hamstring niggle

1 watcher
Nov 2013
7:49pm, 11 Nov 2013
855 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Ran just under 6 miles this morning, easy pace. Early in the run, I had a feeling of tightness in my left hamstring.... I have occasionally had similar sensations before, when I had run hard or long in the preceding days. It didn't last long, and I had pushed my pace at Parkrun on Saturday, so I wasn't too bothered. I didn't notice it for the rest of the run.

As I was stretching afterwards, though, there was a bit more of an ouch. Not actually when I was stretching the hamstring, but when I was moving to get into other stretch positions, actually. And for the rest of the day, there's just been the odd ouch niggle - not massively painful or sharp, but certain movements or positions just give me a twinge. It's difficult to be precise about which movements - but I seem to be able to do hamstring stretches without difficulty.

Have I done something to it, or is just DOMS? Doesn't feel like any DOMS I've had before, though. What would you suggest?
Nov 2013
7:52pm, 11 Nov 2013
590 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Tight glutes presenting in the hamstring? Just a guess - have a foam roll around the area and see what sings out at you :)
Nov 2013
7:55pm, 11 Nov 2013
856 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
I shall roll forthwith and report back!

Oh, further information - I saw a sports physio a week ago to address the various minor niggles I have - one of which was tight hamstrings. He has had me doing a towel hamstring stretch multiple times a day since then. They were just starting to get easier...
Nov 2013
10:12pm, 11 Nov 2013
859 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
No particular sore spots, either on back of thigh or buttock. I do appear to have some ouchy bits on the side of my thigh, nearer to the knee - ITB band?

Just went through all my exercises (for recently sprained ankle and tight shoulder) as well as the hamstring stretches. All seemed well - no pain, just a comfortable stretching sensation. Then I sat down, and got a tweak up my thigh as I twisted slightly. Hmmmm....

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
Ran just under 6 miles this morning, easy pace. Early in the run, I had a feeling of tightness in m...