Garmin 610 - unable to charge

1 watcher
Oct 2013
12:45pm, 10 Oct 2013
2,184 posts
  •  
clairevmc
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and might be able to suggest anything to help please:

My Garmin 610 is just over a year old and today I've been unable to charge it. I've tried the usual plug in the wall and have also tried just the cable (USB) in my laptop and nothing is working. I don't know if it's a problem with the watch itself or the cable. The watch does have some green coppery looking build-up around the back of it but has had for months.

Thank you!
Oct 2013
1:00pm, 10 Oct 2013
318 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Claire,

The recessed charging contacts on the back can get a bit "gunked" up with dirt, sweat, etc - try cleaning with a cotton bud dipped in some sort of cleaning fluid. Clean the contact pins on the charging cradle thing as well.

Hass it still got some charge in it, and you're just looking to top it up, or is it dead ? If some charge still in it then a complete power off and back on may help as well.

The green coppery build up on the back shouldn't affect it, unless it is in the contact pins - cleaning as suggested above would solve if that's the problem. There's a huge thread about the green stuff on the Garmin 610 forums forums.garmin.com
Oct 2013
3:03pm, 10 Oct 2013
2,185 posts
  •  
clairevmc
Thank you very much K5 Gus for all this information. I'll try all that and see how I get on. Yes, there is about half charge left, I was topping it up.
Nov 2013
4:23pm, 21 Nov 2013
184 posts
  •  
magnumpti
My Garmin 405 doesn't like being charged using the USB cable into my PC. I was on the verge of sending it back to Garmin but I started charging from the mains and (touch wood) it seems to be fine now.
Nov 2013
4:50pm, 21 Nov 2013
2,207 posts
  •  
clairevmc
I've been able to salvage my 610 by cleaning up the contacts with electrical contact fluid and I also now use a clothes peg when I'm charging it to make sure it's definitely all contacting properly (I peg the charger firmly to the watch).

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by clairevmc
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and might be able to suggest anything to ...