Garmin 410 on a bike - do I really need a cadence thingy?

1 watcher
Aug 2012
11:35am, 31 Aug 2012
13 posts
  •  
buzzgb
Got a Garmin 410 and want to use it to measure how far I ride. Assume it can do this but reading a lot about a cadence devise that costs another £40. Do I really need this? Would rather spend the money on pizza!
Aug 2012
11:37am, 31 Aug 2012
21,405 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
If you need it, you'll know you need it and won't have to ask :P

(I have one which I thought I needed but have never actually used for training purposes.)
Aug 2012
11:53am, 31 Aug 2012
2,757 posts
  •  
longboat
If you just want to know how far and fast then no.

I have one, but bought it for inside training as it does cadence and distance. Cadence is of passing interest when I am out and about, but generally to remind me to change down occasionally
Aug 2012
12:11pm, 31 Aug 2012
10,374 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
I have one but don't use it at the moment. It managed to recalibrate and throw all the distances off so I switched it off and just take distance from GPS. I will get it working for when I'm back on the turbo over winter, but that's the only thing I really use it for.
Aug 2012
12:12pm, 31 Aug 2012
21,408 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
eL Bee! put one on my bike at my request so that I could use it as a guide to increasing my cadence, but doing cadence drills on training rides have never become a priority. If we get an indoor fakecycle for the winter I'll use that for the purpose.
Aug 2012
9:32pm, 31 Aug 2012
14 posts
  •  
buzzgb
Thanks all - virtual slices of pepperoni all round!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by buzzgb
Got a Garmin 410 and want to use it to measure how far I ride. Assume it can do this but reading a l...