Do you know any cross country running routes in the Cardiff Area?

1 watcher
Oct 2012
6:41pm, 21 Oct 2012
21 posts
  •  
Murphey
I'm normally a road runner but I am trying to get in to some cross country and fell running but I am having trouble find routes in the Cardiff area that are longer than a few kilometres! I am running the Bath Hilly Half in November and need to get some longer cross country training runs in.

If there are any Fetchies out there that can help or suggest one or two training routes please make yourselves known!! This road runner needs your help!!!
Oct 2012
7:03pm, 21 Oct 2012
45,120 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I shall post a link to this on the welsh cakes thread

they wil help
Oct 2012
7:09pm, 21 Oct 2012
5,439 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I live in Cardiff and do Fell and Cross Country but I must admit I'm a bit puzzled To train I just run up and down relatively small hills many times but to do it properly I take part in the South Wales Summer and Winter Fell Series e.g.

sandomenico.org.uk
sandomenico.org.uk
You won't really find any fell terrain in Cardiff.
With Cross Country I don't train as such for that but any field will do, as I happens I have taken part in the major XC league in Wales and the South West today - The Gwent League Bridgend Fixture, generally this is for club runners belonging to the competing teams but guests are alllowed.

To be honest though I don't believe that the Bath Hilly Half is like either of the above, fell is much, much steeper and cross country is flattish grass.
Oct 2012
7:40pm, 21 Oct 2012
56,612 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I think with cross country Murphy means off road Saint...

Murphey, can you get out of Cardiff nothwards? Loads of hills to run up and down there, even close to Cardiff...
Oct 2012
8:03pm, 21 Oct 2012
5,440 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Ah! Trail or Multiterrain, now I'm with you
Oct 2012
8:05pm, 21 Oct 2012
45,126 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
:)
Oct 2012
8:20pm, 21 Oct 2012
22 posts
  •  
Murphey
Hi Guys, thanks for your responces. Just to clarify - I am looking for ideas for off road running routes. I get bored completing laps so I am looking for routes of between 10 and 20km. I'm not really worried if its hilly or flat, I just want as little tarmac as possible. Cheers all.
Oct 2012
8:31pm, 21 Oct 2012
10,818 posts
  •  
Stander
No.
Oct 2012
8:56pm, 21 Oct 2012
5,441 posts
  •  
The_Saint
As Hanneke has said the area around the Wenallt/Caerphilly Mountain/Tongwynlais?Machen will do

e.g. connect.garmin.com
connect.garmin.com
Oct 2012
9:24pm, 21 Oct 2012
23 posts
  •  
Murphey
Cheers Saint!! Thats brilliant. I run with a Garmin as well, so those routes will do great to get me going!
If there are any others out there with ideas lets hear them!

About This Thread

Maintained by Murphey
I'm normally a road runner but I am trying to get in to some cross country and fell running but I a...