Decompression of Patella Tendon

1 watcher
May 2013
12:46pm, 30 May 2013
904 posts
  •  
RedBen
Well, it's been a very long time since I've been on here, but it looks as if there are still a few familiar "faces" - hello to all.

By way of a recap, I was run over whilst training for VLM in January 2008. Five and a bit years and two operations later, I have never got back to running and persistent trouble in the left knee has, after getting a second surgeon's opinion, finally seen me put on the waiting list to have a decompression of the patella tendon in my left knee. Waiting list problems aside, it looks as if this will now be done in August and I was wondering whether any Fetchies had had this procedure, knew of anyone who'd had it or had any info at all on it and likely recovery. All that I've read suggests pretty good recovery rates and this fits with what the surgeon told me too.

I am still very keen to get back to running and, after burying my head in the sand for years, I have finally started taking swimming/stroke development lessons which I think I should up in the run up to surgery to build leg strength.
May 2013
6:37pm, 31 May 2013
441 posts
  •  
Craig_
I can't offer any advice re the operation - but hope it all works out and you can get back to running. :)

There was a thread on here a few days ago by someone who wanted some advice on other sports that were non/low-impact on the legs - might be of interest.

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=53912
Jun 2013
9:39am, 4 Jun 2013
905 posts
  •  
RedBen
Thanks Craig, that's very helpful. Am also thinking about replacing the ancient hybrid bike with something a bit, well, newer although think spinning is not for me!
Jun 2013
10:03am, 4 Jun 2013
20,329 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
RedBen, what a terrible thing to have happened. Glad to hear you've got some light at end of the tunnel. Like Craig says, quite a lot of threads about non-running training: there's

Tracking Total Training hours (for those who like to see how much swim, spin bike and gym time they have spent), http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=52477
Furman thread (for low running volume, but training for a best time - lots of cross training), http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=39828
the Core Exercises type threads etc. http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=47833

Very best of luck getting back to it. Sorry I don't know anything about decompression though! :-)G
Jun 2013
10:06am, 4 Jun 2013
69,158 posts
  •  
santababy
me neither but HELLO STRANGER! :)
Jun 2013
11:11am, 4 Jun 2013
906 posts
  •  
RedBen
Thanks Happy! Lots of reading for me there!

Hello Santa! Loved your pic on FB this morning - lovely day. What happened to TT@T?!

Tuesday night is now my swim night and I'm really looking forward to it. Can't think I've felt that way since the accident, so that has to be a good thing! I'm taking lessons from Bloc 3 who I guess some on here may know and who are fantastic.
Jun 2013
11:18am, 4 Jun 2013
69,167 posts
  •  
santababy
too busy these days :(

hope you didnt like my smashed knee pic and youre referring to other one ? :)
Jun 2013
11:59am, 4 Jun 2013
907 posts
  •  
RedBen
The other one!

Like a total numpty, I managed to smash my other knee into a stone whilst gardening on Saturday so could play "compare and contrast" at the moment I think!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RedBen
Well, it's been a very long time since I've been on here, but it looks as if there are still a few...