Asthma

6 watchers
Aug 2011
2:03pm, 30 Aug 2011
5,005 posts
  •  
Footpad
Exactly. As the breathlessness increases you naturally try and breath in harder. The asthmatic lungs stiffen up and actually restrict the exhalation so there is less room to breath in with. Makes it harder to breath in..... and so on. Especially if any panic sets in and then it gets drastically worse!
Aug 2011
2:04pm, 30 Aug 2011
5,006 posts
  •  
Footpad
.... and my spelling just gets worse! Sorry!
Aug 2011
2:24pm, 30 Aug 2011
10,246 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Asthma is a common disease, and there are a lot of misconceptions about it.
At its simplest asthma is defined as a reversible intrinsic airways obstruction. This obstruction is usually due to mucus secretions from your airways or due to constriction of the muscles in the walls of the airways. An 'Asthmatic' is somebody who is more predisposed to these problems, but they can be induced in anybody if a severe enough stimulus is applied.

In your case it sounds like there is a definite stimulus related to the cat, but it may be that there are others related to pollen/dust/pollutants etc. Getting rid of the cat may not mean that everything goes away.

I know little of the WADA rules, so whatever I say about treatment has to be viewed in that light.
Reliever treatment is usually aimed at removing the muscular constriction. The most commonly used agents are all beta agonists such as Salbutamol and Terbutaline. The infamous Clenbuterol is one of these agents, so there may be some concerns.
Alternative agents such as Ipratropium are anti-cholinergics and aim to produce the same effect by altering the balance of sympathetic and parasympathetic activity. They are not very effective and are used more in smoking related lung disease.

Preventers are usually steroid based. They are usually recommended if you need to use the reliever more than once a day, though they will also be used to prevent an asthmatic response to a specific stimulus. The actual absorption into the bloodstream is minimal, and as far as I am aware the commonly used ones (beclomethasone) have little or no anabolic effect. There may still be problems with WADA though.

Antihistamine pills may help if this is purely allergic, but they often don't have a great effect.

Exercise induced asthma is very difficult to treat- and may not respond to the common agents. Sodium Cromoglycate inhalers can help with allergic and exercise induced asthma, but are generally seen as ineffective (or at least significantly less effective than the common agents), and is not commonly prescribed. Increasingly exotic drugs such as leukotriene inhibitors are often only prescribed in special circumstances and usually when others have failed.

The stitch will be related to an alteration in breathing pattern-not necessarily hyper expansion which is usually a precursor to collapse requiring in-hospital treatment- but the change in your breathing pattern will cause stretching of the hepatic capsule and its ligament. If you get your breathing settled I am sure it will go.

You are going to have to find a willing GP. The standard treatments may well work, but as somebody who has to worry about doping then they will need to be willing to address issues that they don't often come up against.

Hope that helps :)
Aug 2011
2:52pm, 30 Aug 2011
1,668 posts
  •  
Loca
Thanks JO

Have being doing a bit of research and it seems that a few of the common asthma meds were taken off the WADA banned list in 2010. I'll take a list of the non-banned substances to the GP appointment with me so hopefully he can give me a combination of those.

off to Google' hepatic capsule' - sound interesting! :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Loca
I can't see an existing thread about this but I need some support/advice.

Background - a few yea...