Advice sought please....Vomiting caused by asthma???

1 watcher
Nov 2013
7:01pm, 26 Nov 2013
1,018 posts
  •  
icklevee
Duchess & KatieB, I appreciate your comments. I know it's fairly accepted that runners/cyclists are more open about talking about such symptoms so had hoped that maybe others had experienced such symptoms & could provide guidance. Katie, I thinks it's because I keep pushing while getting the gagging coughing thing that causes me to be suddenly violently sick, but then I'm fine after.

I've had my lung capacity & flow checked on a job medical which they said was very good & in the acceptable range given I'm asthmatic. Bizarre.....

Looks like a few of us needs a trip back to the asthma nurse
Dec 2013
6:45pm, 8 Dec 2013
1,023 posts
  •  
icklevee
Not got round to getting a nurse appointment yet, but today's run taught me two things:
1) Slower pace at start & overall = less mucus & sicky feeling
2) Warmer air temp = even less mucus & sicky feeling
Jan 2014
5:10pm, 8 Jan 2014
259 posts
  •  
Cathaylad
Hope you don't mind me joining this discussion? But I have been running with cold induced asthma for a few years now and over those years it has gradually got worse, so much so most of my winter months are spent on the treadmill.
I use my blue inhaler prior to each run, even if indoors (mostly out of habit) and 90% of my runs are fine, but I have at least one run a month where though my breathing seems OK I have a sense things are not running smoothly, my legs quickly cramp up my rhythm seems out of sync, once the session is over my muscles ache (all over) and my chest feels like I have a chest infection and I get the impression I haven't done myself any favours.
I've had blood test which came back all OK, I've just started on the brown inhaler and long with that I've slowed my pace down from 8.5 to 10 minute miles but with no luck.
I'm now looking at nutrition and weight. Out of interest has anyone else experienced these symptoms? Any help, advice or suggestion would be appriechated. Thanks in advance.
Jan 2014
7:24pm, 8 Jan 2014
1,027 posts
  •  
icklevee
Ok, I eventually went back to the asthma nurse a week ago. She put me onto Montelukast 10mg tablets to reduce the inflammation & mucus production, and also to change to Symbicort bit still use the Salbutamol when needed. I'm supposed to have 2puffs 12 times a day until my next month review, but have found I can't stop trembling and feel my heart racing. It's affecting my sleep, as in not getting any, and my chest is very wheezy and even walking fast is aggravating it.

Do I have to be patient with it, or should it be working a lot quicker?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by icklevee
I got diagnosed with asthma last year and after a bollocking by the nurse early this year I now take...