A lovely question about toenails. Yes really.

2 watchers
Jun 2014
1:50pm, 19 Jun 2014
4,641 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
As one of many this to arise post-London, it appears that during that little jaunt I nicked my big toe toenail. Its two thirds of the way down (if that makes sense), no idea how that happens :-) Anyway it has been slowly mending until football on Monday night. Not sure what has happened but now the nick is 75% of the way across the toenail.

My question is this. Will it repair itself? Or is the damage done? If so, should I just whip the whole thing off? If I do that, how do I protect it? Can I still run? Is this going to be the most painful experience of my life?

Never thought I would be asking questions about toenails, I must admit. Odd world.
Jun 2014
1:53pm, 19 Jun 2014
17,651 posts
  •  
HellsBells
It's not going to repair. I'd tape it up until it had grown out enough to cut
MH
Jun 2014
1:59pm, 19 Jun 2014
239 posts
  •  
MH
is it catching on anything or hurting now? if not I'd just leave well alone. I split the toenail on my big toe after tripping over, but it still seemed pretty well attached. I just left it until it grew and kept it short as possible. I guess you could whip it off if you fancy the pain :-)
Jun 2014
2:05pm, 19 Jun 2014
4,642 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I keep catching it, but that is down to the law of "if you are trying not to bump a part of your body, you will bump that on every possible occasion. Because."

Ok, sounds like tape is the way forward until it grows a bit!
Jun 2014
2:20pm, 19 Jun 2014
4,269 posts
  •  
daviec
Put a bit of something between the adhesive on the tape and the nail, otherwise if you need to remove it you'll find that part of your nail will try to remove itself as well.
Jun 2014
2:25pm, 19 Jun 2014
4,643 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Good point! :-)
Jun 2019
1:03pm, 25 Jun 2019
1,419 posts
  •  
beebop
Superglue might work, generally with some thin material or newspaper stuck over it. Newspaper gradually wears off, and you may need to top up the glue. Superglue comes off skin relatively easily, so if you do colour over the lines you won’t stick the nail to the side. I’ve only tried this on low splits on fingernails, but it worked...

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
As one of many this to arise post-London, it appears that during that little jaunt I nicked my big t...