Virtual Races

2 watchers
Oct 2016
9:18am, 16 Oct 2016
1,010 posts
  •  
LordWotsit
Just come across 'Virtual Races' anyone do these?
What do people think of these?
Oct 2016
9:45am, 16 Oct 2016
33,861 posts
  •  
Foxy
lots of varied viewpoints - many will say " a medal for a training run why ?" but equally these can give runners a target, a goal & inspire them to do something they otherwise wouldn't.

Allows people to fit running around work & family.

Personally not something for me, I don't even care about the medals I have from races I've done - however I also realise I am in the minority !
Oct 2016
9:45am, 16 Oct 2016
33,862 posts
  •  
Foxy
lots of varied viewpoints - many will say " a medal for a training run why ?" but equally these can give runners a target, a goal & inspire them to do something they otherwise wouldn't.

Allows people to fit running around work & family.

Personally not something for me, I don't even care about the medals I have from races I've done - however I also realise I am in the minority !
Oct 2016
1:32pm, 16 Oct 2016
11,957 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
I've seen a bunch of these of Facebook - I don't get it. I think people just want a medal for anything now - I've seen people turn their noses up at some quality races as they don't have a medal at the end.

I also think there's a large difference between running in a real race, and running a virtual one - you can't access the same amount of adrenaline for a race without other people around in my opinion...
Oct 2016
6:34am, 17 Oct 2016
1,012 posts
  •  
LordWotsit
Thanx guys, I work with children in my day job and in a youth club. I was thinking more to use it as an aid to get kids into fitness. Give them a reason for getting out and exercising.
Oct 2016
4:37pm, 17 Oct 2016
11,961 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
Oh, now medals and children go together pretty well (my nephews are always very interested to see the medals that my sister gets at races)
Oct 2016
4:51pm, 17 Oct 2016
6,926 posts
  •  
becca7
They won't suit everybody but I like shiny things and I've done a couple. I think that the main benefit of these virtual races is that people who can't get to races normally, through work or family commitments, or who have worries that put them off entering actual races, have something to work towards and show for their efforts.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by LordWotsit
Just come across 'Virtual Races' anyone do these?
What do people think of these?