The Ullswater Way - has anyone run it?

3 watchers
Aug 2016
8:49am, 14 Aug 2016
9,575 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
OH and I are hoping to visit the Lake District in the next couple of months.

Unfortunately, I can't find any suitable races for us, except Parkrun, and it's a VERY long way for us to go for just a Parkrun.

So, I'm thinking about running all of the Ullswater Way, just as an lsr to fit into my training schedule.

I've looked at the map and the description of the route, but I'm wondering if any Fetchies have any experience of it?

I would probably start in Glenridding, and I'm assuming the trail is easy to follow (even for a navigation numpty) and relatively safe to run on my own (weather depending!)

I may even try to persuade my OH to run the first section to Howtown and to then get the steamer back to Glenridding.

Any info would be much appreciated :-)
Aug 2016
9:00am, 14 Aug 2016
34,295 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Let me know when and if I'm around I'll pop along and run with you :)

(It's on my agenda, to the extent that I've entered an event on the route for a nice day out with cake sientries.co.uk but I haven't done it yet.)
Aug 2016
9:03am, 14 Aug 2016
21,694 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I'd never heard of it but it sounds great. It would make a great rainy day low level run for anyone wanting distance rather than climb. I'm sure it'll be very safe and Glenridding would make a "good base". Two things: the steamer is magnificent and after years of going to the Lakes Glenridding is my most consistent place for spotting red squirrels nerd
Aug 2016
9:05am, 14 Aug 2016
21,695 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
That event looks ace Velo :-)
Aug 2016
10:03am, 14 Aug 2016
9,576 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Vrap - I'm hoping to be there early September, I'll let you know nearer the time, it may not be a weekend day though.

DT - actually 'low level' will probably work for me even though I love hills, especially if I'm on my own. Glad to hear that Glenridding will be a good base, but now I want to go on the steamer too :-)

I was tempted by the race, but won't fit in with my plans - Beachy mara is the he following week. Nav4 are fantastic, I have done the Pennine Way 39 with them (very low key, but loads of food/cake) and I also did a navigation course with them.
Aug 2016
11:04am, 14 Aug 2016
21,696 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Funnily enough I was thinking about events like BHM, Yorkshireman, Wharfedale marathon, North Downs 30K, 3 Peaks fell race when suggesting this as a training run. Coincidentally I'm wearing my old BHM sweatshirt from c 2007 today nerd
Aug 2016
8:02pm, 14 Aug 2016
34,301 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm off work the first full week in September :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Liliaicha
OH and I are hoping to visit the Lake District in the next couple of months.

Unfortunately, I can...