Row a Marathon

2 watchers
Mar 2016
7:05pm, 20 Mar 2016
11,430 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Following a conversation with dad who may have a3rd cancer in 4 years I'm thinking of rowing a marathon for CRUK in July.

Currently do 6-8k

What do you lot think or advise a grumpy fat short arse failed runner?

Thanks

Xx
Mar 2016
8:49pm, 20 Mar 2016
11,267 posts
  •  
RichHL
Really well padded pants. I had the worst chafing of my life following 10k on an erg. Couldn't sit down for a week.
Mar 2016
8:55pm, 20 Mar 2016
4,093 posts
  •  
marshallini
First time I did it I almost didn't finish because my arse was so sore, not from chaffing just from the constant pressure of going back and forth for nearly 3 hours. After that I used folded up bubble wrap under my bum and that worked for me, plus I kept a bottle within reach on the floor.
Mar 2016
9:27pm, 20 Mar 2016
11,431 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Would cycling shorts work?
Mar 2016
9:27pm, 20 Mar 2016
11,432 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
How did you train. Would as running plan work?
Mar 2016
10:53pm, 20 Mar 2016
4,098 posts
  •  
marshallini
I tried cycle shorts last time I rowed and they provided some comfort but not enough, but I have quite a boney behind and the padding wasn't really in the right place for me.

I guess a run training schedule would work if done on the rower. I didn't specifically train for the first one, I just had a go, I am not a rower, but was regularly doing hard 2k-10k efforts (maybe 50k a week?) and lots of circuits and weights but not much running. Subsequent ones were done during IM training, so mixed in with loads of swim/bike/run.
Apr 2018
6:43pm, 22 Apr 2018
32,479 posts
  •  
Nellers
That’s going to be a tough one EP, and mostly from a comfort position rather than endurance.

Not sure how the chafing comes in to play, though. That’s not something i’ve Experienced at all.

3 hours on that hard seat though: that’s going to feel bad!

Back when I was canoeing we used to cut camping mats up and glue them to the seat with cut-outs for the boney bits of the bum. Not so easy on a gym rower.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
Following a conversation with dad who may have a3rd cancer in 4 years I'm thinking of rowing a mara...