Getting over a poor race

1 watcher
Aug 2018
6:59pm, 3 Aug 2018
486 posts
  •  
SilentTim
I did my first standard distance tri at the weekend. I know it was my first and I should probably be happy to have just got round, but I just can't shake that disappointed feeling. I did 3:18,i was hoping for under 3.

To be fair the weather was awful and what should have been an easy bike turned into a massive slog with the wind and rain. Then by the run, I had nothing left. Ran the first 5k,then ran/walked the last. My normal 10k time is about 46/47, but I did this one in 58.

Even when I was walking I knew I would regret it later, but just couldn't sustain a run.

Is it right to feel disappointed? What do you do to get over it?
Aug 2018
7:22pm, 3 Aug 2018
9,390 posts
  •  
Ness
I don’t feel it’s right to feel disappointment but it’s what a lot of us do feel when our race performance hasn’t lived up to expectations.

When I haven’t got on as well as I’d hoped in a race, I generally book another one, and one more usually.
Aug 2018
7:28pm, 3 Aug 2018
966 posts
  •  
oumaumau
No, you shouldn't be disappointed.
You've identified areas where your performance wasn't as you would have wished - take that on board and figure out how you would cope with the same scenarios next time.

Time goals are a bit dubious, especially for a first outing. Try 'finish strong' or 'save some for the run' next time, but have plans to make that happen. Also try not to beat yourself up during the event, stay positive, even if it's only 'run to the next lamppost'.
Hope that helps
Aug 2018
7:49pm, 3 Aug 2018
487 posts
  •  
SilentTim
Thank you. I've had several years off triathlon and set myself the goal of doing my first standard this year. I'm also back on fetch for the first time in years.

Just Happy to have done it, as this time last year I couldn't even contemplate swimming that far
Aug 2018
9:11pm, 3 Aug 2018
9,168 posts
  •  
lammo
Well done Tim, sounds lovely le a lot of positives to be taken if you can step back a little.

How many brick runs had you done? Is your stated10k time after a 40k bike?

Its anew linei the sand for next time, onwards.
Aug 2018
10:11pm, 3 Aug 2018
488 posts
  •  
SilentTim
Ah, no, that 47 min 10k is just my normal 10k pace for a run. I'd done a few brick rides and a couple of shorter triathlons heading into it, but never a 40/10 brick.

Lesson learnt for next year I suppose!
Aug 2018
10:12pm, 3 Aug 2018
489 posts
  •  
SilentTim
Also, a blog post if mine from 2010 refers...

fetcheveryone.com/blog/27023/2010/6

At least I've finally gone out and done my first Olympic distance 😁

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by SilentTim
I did my first standard distance tri at the weekend. I know it was my first and I should probably be...