DR or Physio

1 watcher
Dec 2011
8:02am, 3 Dec 2011
23 posts
  •  
thuginasuit
I've been suffering with knee pain for the last 3 weeks at first only after 10mile + run, took it easy this week but last night did just 3 miles and I have it again. Bearing in mind I have a half marathon and 2x marathons this month should I consult a DR or pay to see my physio? Or should I just tuck up in bed for December and start again next year?
Dec 2011
8:03am, 3 Dec 2011
12,128 posts
  •  
Pestomum
Ditch the races, do some cross training and rest the knee for a bit.
Dec 2011
8:04am, 3 Dec 2011
2,620 posts
  •  
RichHL
Take a week off and if you're still having problems go to your physio.
Dec 2011
9:10am, 3 Dec 2011
11,859 posts
  •  
hellen
Physio
Dec 2011
9:29am, 3 Dec 2011
10,804 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Put your cash back in your pocket, tell us where it hurts and when, stretch rest etc.

Dr probably won't have the answer, unless they happen to be interested in these things. Physio may have an answer, but I can't think of an injury that wasn't associated with an acute event where the initial advice is anything other than rest.
Dec 2011
6:40pm, 3 Dec 2011
2,915 posts
  •  
SharonD
A physio or sports massage may help (if the knee pain is caused by tight muscles which could be pulling at it when it wants to just be....), as Johnny O says a Dr will only have the answer if they're of the Cabletow variety (interested in such things).

Rest, consider massage/physio after your race consider reviewing your training to make sure you give yourself enough rest and consider getting your running technique analysed - read up on one of the running technique threads and go with the one that you feel suits you.

Good luck ;-)
Dec 2011
8:15am, 13 Dec 2011
27 posts
  •  
thuginasuit
Thanks everyone for advise . The pain is in the knee cap so not a muscle pain. Anyway took it easy just a few short runs then did half marathon on Sunday, ok during the race but got the pain after. Went to physio last night cut a long story short it's an alignment problem which is putting the tracking out causing bone to rub on bone. Have a load of exercises to do so should be ok for my back to back marathons just before Christmas.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by thuginasuit
I've been suffering with knee pain for the last 3 weeks at first only after 10mile + run, took it e...