bruised patella

0 watcher
Oct 2011
12:46pm, 18 Oct 2011
610 posts
  •  
bruno.
Has anyone here had the pleasure of a bruised patella? I had a nasty fall while out running last week, with my left knee taking the brunt of the impact (directly on the kneecap). I hobbled home with a bloody knee, and after a couple days the swelling subsided. Five days later and it was still tender so I thought I should see the GP, who advised me that it was bruised, and the pain would go away in a few weeks. If anyone else has had this, how troublesome was it and is there anything that might speed it along? In the meantime I've been told to do 'some gentle walking' which sounds impossible!!
Oct 2011
1:00pm, 18 Oct 2011
9,456 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Does it get worse after a run? Think GP is just being cautious.
Oct 2011
1:10pm, 18 Oct 2011
347 posts
  •  
wobblingTime
I had a bruised patella (front and back) last year, couple with bruising to fib and tib in both legs. It was very sore.

My first trip to my GP was along the same lines as yours. When I was still in a lot of pain a couple of weeks later, a different GP sent me to a knee consultant, who diagnosed me with the above bone bruising.

I was under a physio for about 2 months, lots of icing, walking and patience was prescribed. No running at all and when I was eventually allowed back to running, I had to follow a run/walk plan and not run more than three times a week.

Hope your bump heals quicker than mine.
Oct 2011
1:23pm, 18 Oct 2011
611 posts
  •  
bruno.
UC--I haven't run on it since I fell. Going up and down the stairs to my flat has convinced me it's probably not a great idea since additional pressure gives me some pain (though this is improving rapidly, thankfully). Testing it out I seem to be fine standing on the injured leg and putting my weight on it flexed and so forth, and running to catch the bus this morning I felt nothing ,but I'm feeling very conscious to avoid making it worse or causing any further problems since I've never had a bone injury.

WT--I think yours sounds like it might have been worse than mine is, but the GP said if it gets worse to come back and they'll send me to a physio. Hopefully some enforced rest will avoid that!! The GP said three weeks should do it but hopefully that was very conservative. Fingers crossed.... :)
Oct 2011
1:30pm, 18 Oct 2011
914 posts
  •  
That man from March
I had a similar problem some 10 years or so ago. It was sore for many weeks after and I made the mistake of doing no exercise at all. Ended up with 12 weeks under the physio to strengthen all the muscles around the knee that had lost their condition.
Oct 2011
1:48pm, 18 Oct 2011
612 posts
  •  
bruno.
That's something the GP mentioned--to continue doing certain knee-strengthening exercises for the muscles around the knee and to keep the quadriceps from losing strength. I'll be sure to keep that in mind, thanks!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by bruno.
Has anyone here had the pleasure of a bruised patella? I had a nasty fall while out running last we...