1 watcher
Sep 2012
9:44pm, 13 Sep 2012
53 posts
  •  
darting
Hi,

I could do with some advice.....

This year all my training has gone well until yesterday. I was at the end of a 6 mile interval run and I got a calf muscle strain I stopped, stretched and gave it a bit of massage before jogging home. The calf was sore that evening and today it is a lot better. I cancelled the 3 mile hills session and used the exercise bike and weights in the gym and the calf coped well but with the Cardiff half marathon fast approaching I really need to make sure it is ok.

Do I cancel my 14 mile long run on Saturday?

How long should I leave a strain thats more of a niggle (no pain just sore)?

I am keeping off my feet, using ice etc...... Any advice would be great

thanks
Sep 2012
9:47pm, 13 Sep 2012
12,679 posts
  •  
DeeGee
When's the race?
Sep 2012
10:16pm, 13 Sep 2012
9,909 posts
  •  
Stander
I'd head out, but stop if it starts playing up and instead walk home and rest it some more, trying again in a few more days time perhaps.
may
Sep 2012
10:44pm, 13 Sep 2012
898 posts
  •  
may
...I had something similar the week before my ultra a month ago..what worked for me..no stretching followed r.i.c.e for 3 days and used arnica and voltarol gel compression socks also...I would ditch the 14 miler...but maybe try a short jog/walk each day till the soreness goes away hope that helps
Sep 2012
11:12pm, 13 Sep 2012
19,868 posts
  •  
swittle
rest it
Sep 2012
11:16pm, 13 Sep 2012
15,662 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
If its a calf strain a 14 mile run won't happen. Take the run easy and as soon as it hurts, stop.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Hi,

I could do with some advice.....

This year all my training has gone well until yesterday. ...