Preventing blisters

1 watcher
Jul 2012
10:03pm, 2 Jul 2012
12,228 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll try it in its own thread...

Yes, I know that blisters come with the territory, but I thought I would bounce this around and see what happens.

True to form, having run a marathon yesterday, I have a blister on the second smallest toe of my right foot. That is my fifth marathon of the year, and the fifth blister. I was not racing, merely running at training pace.

I knew I would be getting it, because, as usual, about 13 miles in, a hot spot developed on my toe which, once I got shoes and socks off, turned out to be a blister

So why am I telling a forum full of runners this, this is nothing unique to me!?

Thing is, I run 18+ milers at the weekend as a matter of course, often faster than the 8.40 ish/mile that I ran yesterday, sometimes slower. I wear the same shoes and socks, same shoelaces, laced the same way. I never get a blister in training.

I have used different generations of the same shoe, and different generations of different shoes, with no problems training, but once I run a marathon, I can guarantee the return of the usual blister. The only cause that I can identify is pinning a number onto myself!

Am I just incredibly unlucky? Anyone got any advice?
Jul 2012
10:14pm, 2 Jul 2012
6,083 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
It's all in the head. ;-)

Have you tried putting vaseline between your toes? It feels a bit funny at first, but I've hardly had any blisters since doing it.
Jul 2012
10:28pm, 2 Jul 2012
12,229 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I might try vas.

I've got a nasty feeling that it might be the shape of the afflicted toe itself that might be an issue. There's nowt I can do about that, though.
Jul 2012
10:31pm, 2 Jul 2012
18,397 posts
  •  
swittle
Another vote for Vas :) Many moons ago, a rugby coach told me only hard skin blistered, so using Vas makes sense in that context. Make sure shoes & socks are free of fine grit or sand before applying.
Jul 2012
10:32pm, 2 Jul 2012
6,084 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
If it's always the same toe, then you might have to hack it off. ;-) (I used to get blisters in the same spot, but a generous helping of vaseline seems to do the trick unless I run in wet socks for very long.)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll try it in its own thread...

Yes, I know that blisters come...