Boardman 8.8 vs Trek Roscoe 7

1 watcher
May 2021
11:12am, 31 May 2021
First-time poster!!
  •  
dc123321
Hello all,

I am looking at buying my first mountain bike, a big moment I know!

I was looking at getting either the Boardman 8.8 or the Trek Roscoe 7, they both look great in the specs.

trekbikes.com

halfords.ie

As far as I see it I see the 8.8 has the pros of being cheaper(€1100 vs €1299) and has better brakes(MT400 vs MT200).

Whereas the Roscoe 7 has the dropper seat and wider tires but are smaller(27.5x2.8" vs 29x2.25")

The dropper would set me back €130 + €?? for installation so the costs would almost even out.

So from what I can see, specs wise, the Roscoe 7 looks like a better option, wider tires and already has the dropper installed.

If I were to get the 8.8 I would need to buy both the dropper and wider tires, I think.

Can anyone provide any input or preference for the above?

Thanks in advance.
Jun 2021
1:26pm, 1 Jun 2021
14,610 posts
  •  
larkim
To a degree they are different bikes, one being a 29er and one being a 650b mid-fat (27.5in wid-ish tyre).

Boardman is lighter too according to the specs (by about 1.5kg, which is not to be sniffed at), though sometimes manufacturer's statements about weight aren't accurate (e.g. they do / don't include pedals, they do / don't include inner tubes, the measure S size rather than M size etc etc) Some of that weight will be in the dropper of course.

Of course, if you end up with one of them you'll never know what the other was like to own, and

There are plenty of (far more) knowledgeable (than me) people here, but for buying advice you might want to head over to the BikeRadar forums where their MTB section is quite active.

e.g. forum.bikeradar.com for their buying advice threads.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Hello all,

I am looking at buying my first mountain bike, a big moment I know!

I was looking a...