Advice on dissolved small businesses trading

1 watcher
Mar 2016
2:17pm, 8 Mar 2016
5,641 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Hello can i ask Fetchland for some information (I've been trying Citizens advice but can't get through).

I won't name names but I am currently a student of a school and recently there has been some upset and allegations of fraud against the owner. I have had a brief look on the Companies House website and have realised that the name on the account that takes my money for events happening in the school (its taken via paypal) is for a company which was dissolved in Jan 2015. I believe that there is a new company set up to run the school (The owner appears to let the company be struck off every 2 years or so - I believe this is to avoid submitting accounts).

My question is, does anyone know if continuing to take payments for events (which we do get, to be fair) in the name of a dissolved company is illegal? I only really want to know so that I can decide whether to stay with the school or not, I get what I've paid for and the lessons are good but at the same time this all sounds very dodgy and I don't particularly want to pay money to a potentially criminal bloke!

Cheers folks.
Mar 2016
2:44pm, 8 Mar 2016
9,569 posts
  •  
Star
I don't know about the legal side of things, but you are exposing yourself financially. If we have customers that show as being dissolved we wouldn't do business with them and if they wanted to trade udner new name then we would need guarantee from the bank or from their holding company.
Mar 2016
2:59pm, 8 Mar 2016
6,669 posts
  •  
becca7
The assets of the school, including any contract that you might have with the company, are presumably transferred to a new company each time, so it may not be the dissolved company which is continuing to take your monies. It doesn't sound like students are getting ripped off (since you are getting the service you have paid for) but if there are other allegations of fraud it also doesn't sound like the most reputable educational establishment.
Mar 2016
3:05pm, 8 Mar 2016
5,642 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Its payments for one off events so not contracted payments. Looking into they have a new company with a different name which appears to be active but all receipts i.e pay pal, have the dissolved companies name on it.
Mar 2016
3:26pm, 8 Mar 2016
6,670 posts
  •  
becca7
The Paypal monies are being paid into an account, which has presumably been transferred to the new company, even though it has the old company's name on it. It's hard to say any more without knowing how they have arranged things between the companies.
Mar 2016
3:57pm, 8 Mar 2016
5,643 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Ok, cheers :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hello can i ask Fetchland for some information (I've been trying Citizens advice but can't get thr...