•  
RoadRunner1981
[Removed by moderator]
Apr 2014
9:41pm, 27 Apr 2014
17,601 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I have never worn spikes, but as I understand it, the idea is to run on your forefoot. A medial post at the heel/arch would be ineffective if it never hit the ground?

I used to suffer from ITB, to the point where I was unable to walk at times. The cure (for me at least) was in stretching the ligaments/tendons and strengthening the abductors (mostly glutes).

I was already wearing supportive shoes, so maybe they were never going to help me.
Apr 2014
9:49pm, 27 Apr 2014
68 posts
  •  
RoadRunner1981
[Removed by moderator]
Apr 2014
10:05pm, 27 Apr 2014
1,003 posts
  •  
Craig_
Have you looked at long distance running spikes - much more like a lightweight trainer with spikes rather than the hard-moulded sprint spikes. They tend to have a positive heel-toe drop where as sprint spikes tend to be negative and they offer a lot more design/support options.

An alternative idea may be to use support tape directly on the leg rather then the shoe - but I'm no expert. :)
Apr 2014
10:08pm, 27 Apr 2014
69 posts
  •  
RoadRunner1981
[Removed by moderator]
Apr 2014
8:21am, 28 Apr 2014
33 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
A couple of the guys I used to work with used to wear their orthotics in their sprint spikes - I'm sure Superfeet used to do half-length, narrower supportive insoles specifically to use with spikes as well. But as JohnnyO says, the point of wearing spikes tends to be to put you up into an easier forefoot/more efficient speed running stance - if she's running 800m, she may well already run in middle distance spikes (with some cushioning at heel), rather than sprint spikes? Stretching and rollering should hopefully help at the moment
Apr 2014
10:10am, 28 Apr 2014
10,624 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
interesting...I was at the England Athletics Youth Development Conference recently and one of the discussions was injury prevent and a side chat around running with spikes. The general agreement amongst the coaches and presenters was that spikes should not be worn for all training sessions as they increase the risk of injury. Most coaches now recommend that spikes are only worn when racing or doing some very specific work that requires the extra traction provided by spikes.
Apr 2014
12:30pm, 28 Apr 2014
34 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
I would agree as well - would think it would be most beneficial to only use them for occasional training/faster track sessions, and for races, especially for injury prevention (and comfort!)
Apr 2014
8:35am, 30 Apr 2014
71 posts
  •  
RoadRunner1981
[Removed by moderator]

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I suffer from this and it seems so does my 11 year old daughter. The only difference is that she is ...