Running inhibits fat loss - opinions?

25 watchers
Nov 2012
10:52pm, 28 Nov 2012
1,904 posts
  •  
Bru-Bru
Isn't it "food" that inhibits fat loss? That's my experience, anyway.
Nov 2012
11:23pm, 28 Nov 2012
5,279 posts
  •  
The Pilotlight
long slow runs with Hr at about 50% of vo2 max, for about 2-4 hours will help the fat metabolism, as your body seeks to save any glycogen stores in your muscles. no high HR stuff and no intervals, go long and slow.

oh and don't eat shit.
Nov 2012
12:08am, 29 Nov 2012
2,211 posts
  •  
West Yorkshire Plodder
Would it be possible for you to increase your mileage? The weight fell off me when I did that (but I strongly suspect I tend to carry far more ballast on any given day than your good self)
Nov 2012
12:13am, 29 Nov 2012
799 posts
  •  
liverpoool lass
Claister I agree with others that it is about the deficit rather than type of food eaten or type of exercise.

You say you eat "healthy" but a lot of food which marketing makes people believe is healthy (such as dried fruit, nuts, muesli, and I'm not even mentioning cereal bars/9 bars, flapjack as these are just inverted sugars, syrups, fat, and more sugar!) can be very calorific, even some fruits can be very high in calories if you don't moderate amount - think grapes, melons etc. From weight loss perspective it doesn't matter if you eat "healthy" if the calories are higher than allowed; 3000kcal worth of grapes is NO better than 2000 kcal worth of cake or pizza. I once put on 8 kg in 3 weeks eating nothing but fruits (I was on holiday where fruit was cheap and plentiful)! It took me 4 months to run it off. :)

I'd say you need to write down exactly what you are eating (weighed amounts) and count the calories and you'd be surprised how much there is in different things. Maybe post your day's worth of food here and people would count for you- I bet we'd get as many different results as people!

So definitely focus on diet (ie calories) point of view, not type or exercise (and don't give up running!). It's easier and more reliable. I can't see how slow/fast twitch fibers could be metabolically different to be honest! But it is true that varying exercise from time to time can be useful as it gives a bit of a shock to the system; when you do the same thing for years you become used to it, dependent even, and you burn hardly anything. Switching to a different type of exercise would then be helpful, so I'm surprised you haven't lost anything after taking up all this gym stuff :-O I think the number of calories in this case must be to blame, definitely. :)
Nov 2012
12:33am, 29 Nov 2012
800 posts
  •  
liverpoool lass
I was just thinking, wasn't it you who suggested the exact same thing to me a few months ago, that healthy food can be high in calories and it's called healthy for other reasons (vitamins, minerals, fibre etc)? :)
Nov 2012
8:03am, 29 Nov 2012
5,281 posts
  •  
The Pilotlight
nothing wrong with high calories in unprocessed food, endurance athletes need fat in their diet, just long and slow to metabolise fat, simples.
Nov 2012
8:39am, 29 Nov 2012
45,709 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I want to know how the hell you can manange to eat 3000 cals worth of grapes!

Id be stuck to the loo
:)
Nov 2012
8:42am, 29 Nov 2012
22,517 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Maybe "grapes" is code for "an ingestible substance made from grapes".

No, I don't mean raisins, you muppet :P
Nov 2012
8:45am, 29 Nov 2012
45,710 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Oh THAT stuff
In that form I can shift a fair bit
:)

Ponders on how many grapes might be in a bottle of Pinot
Nov 2012
8:45am, 29 Nov 2012
45,711 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
On a serious note Clairster, have you checked out heebiejeebies blog

About This Thread

Maintained by clairster
I have recently changed my trainin shcedule in order to try and shed some unwanted flab. I do interv...