Running inhibits fat loss - opinions?

25 watchers
Dec 2012
4:01pm, 11 Dec 2012
1,237 posts
  •  
clairster
Gobi - I do eat a pretty low carb diet as it is..any form of carbohydrate causes me to balloon in weight and fall asleep!

Jambomo - that is what I thought..I thought the hiit stuff and strength work, combined with running would kick start things..
Dec 2012
4:03pm, 11 Dec 2012
22,750 posts
  •  
Raptors claws are coming to town
According to the Lard and Wasp Diet Book, if you do lots of endurance-type exercise your resting metabolic rate drops by a percentage which is sufficient to cancel out at least as many calories as are burned by the activity.

I'm unconvinced.
Dec 2012
4:10pm, 11 Dec 2012
14,382 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I dont think running actually inhibits weight loss, but pure endurance work without any high intensity could encourage fat storage, which isn't quite the same thing.
Everyone is different though, I lose weight when I do gym stuff and intervals, I stay steady if i just do long slow runs.
You can count the input output stuff, and you clearly can't gain weight if you eat less than you put out, but you can get efficient at running and burn very little by just plodding which will mess up the calculations. Also, as you lose weight, you need less input to maintain steady state. This is why people on strict diets lose for a while and then start to plateau out (at least thats what our dietician told me). Metabolic rate drops, not by much, but enough to keep you steady (which is what your body wants to do).
As i say, everyone is different, and this cant be true for everyone, you just need to find what works for you ans stick at it.
Dec 2012
4:13pm, 11 Dec 2012
49,469 posts
  •  
Gobi
When all is said and done it comes down to cals in and cals out

I get too many in and am getting bigger :`0
Dec 2012
4:30pm, 11 Dec 2012
22,752 posts
  •  
Raptors claws are coming to town
If you're eating to fuel performance rather than exercising so that you can eat more, it doesn't really matter, does it? It just means that it's easier to maintain a steady weight and not let your body fat drop unhealthily low when training.

The fact that this doesn't happen, and that many good female runners have such low body fat levels that their periods stop and their bones break, suggests that running does not inhibit fat loss.
Dec 2012
4:57pm, 11 Dec 2012
1,238 posts
  •  
clairster
all good points, thanks guys n gals :)
Dec 2012
5:20pm, 11 Dec 2012
990 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Agree with V.rap - I have had issues with the above and apparently ( according to those electrical impedance machines ) have low body fat, and have had since my period stopped over a year ago ( when my actual bmi was well within the normal range ) so would have to say that no running does not inhibit fat loss.
Dec 2012
5:39pm, 11 Dec 2012
6,779 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
If I'm honest, what inhibits fat loss for me is my constant grazing, and a love of wine. When I reign in my eating and drinking, I lose weight. Like Gobi said, it's all really about calories in versus calories out when it comes down to it.
Dec 2012
6:04pm, 11 Dec 2012
14,750 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
Hit the nail on the head, Mrs W. If only I could give up the demon drink the pounds would fall off :-( :-( :-(
Dec 2012
6:08pm, 11 Dec 2012
3,817 posts
  •  
Cranderby Tup
I like a pint or five but have never been convinced about it causing weight gain. Laying off the scran is what's needed I reckon ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by clairster
I have recently changed my trainin shcedule in order to try and shed some unwanted flab. I do interv...