Running inhibits fat loss - opinions?

25 watchers
Nov 2012
2:10pm, 28 Nov 2012
9,297 posts
  •  
Pootles Christmas Baubles
I'm 5ft 4", but a looooong way away from 8 stone. In the wrong direction, too ;-)
Nov 2012
2:42pm, 28 Nov 2012
273 posts
  •  
Mave
I agree with what the others have said. You need to be in calorie deficit to lose weight. I think to lose 1lb a week you need to be in deficit of 500 calories per day. The type of exercise won't help/inhibit weight loss but some exercise is more efficient at burning calories that others. Similarly the type of food you eat won't help/inhibit weight loss either. Just how much food you eat and how many calories it contains.

You need to use a food and exercise calculator to properly track how many calories you are taking in and how many you are burning through exercise. I use the myfitnesspal app to do that.
Nov 2012
2:50pm, 28 Nov 2012
645 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
Yes Mave - between 1 and 2lb would be the expected weight loss at about 600 k/cal deficit per day. There isn't an easy way to weight loss - that's why so many people struggle it's about calories in and calories burned...
Nov 2012
2:54pm, 28 Nov 2012
3,349 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
Running inhibits fat loss far less than sitting on your arse.
Nov 2012
2:56pm, 28 Nov 2012
4,441 posts
  •  
becca7
Myfitnesspal is good but it allows quite a few too many calorie for exercise so I don't input the full amount of exercise. According to my heart rate monitor I burn 50 cals per mile walking and 70 cals per mile running. MFP has these at 78 cals for walking and 103 for running. I'm 5'6 and a little under 10 stone.
Nov 2012
2:56pm, 28 Nov 2012
10,474 posts
  •  
early bird
I found I lost weight and inches and gained in fitness when I followed a Matt Roberts workout(from the book I will make you fit fast) I only lasted one week of the two week prgramme he had (the two week blitz programme with hindsight shoul dhave done the previous ten weeks to build up to it but thought I was invincible ;-) ) before being thoroughly shattered tho. It mostly involved intervals with weights in between the sets of intervals. There was also a lot of focus on diet and portion control and he has many nice recipes in the book that we still eat.

So saying all that just seems to encompass what everyone else is saying really lol so I have proabaly been of no help at all ....sorry
Nov 2012
2:57pm, 28 Nov 2012
10,475 posts
  •  
early bird
I should also learn to read what I have typed before hitting submit and hoping that with the addtions I have put in it all still makes sense :-(
Nov 2012
2:59pm, 28 Nov 2012
1,217 posts
  •  
clairster
Teaboy - that is kind of what I think too :)

EB - great suggestion, I will check it out :)
Nov 2012
3:04pm, 28 Nov 2012
3,613 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
clairster, I lost 17lbs last year (I had plenty to lose) during spring training for the Bob Graham. Typical training week was around 40miles / 10,000ft climb nearly all on the fell. I've kept most of this off in spite of not training as much by basically eating less
Nov 2012
3:08pm, 28 Nov 2012
1,204 posts
  •  
WobblingTime
I've lost a stone and a half this year, just through using MyfitnessPal and running, (a bit, sometimes around 25 mpw, often less). I would say running doesn't inhibit fat loss, but it does increase appetite.

About This Thread

Maintained by clairster
I have recently changed my trainin shcedule in order to try and shed some unwanted flab. I do interv...