Woof! Bark! And also Whiiiiiiiiiine.

0 lurkers | 35 watchers
7:23am, 30 Aug 2014
5684 posts
Well they are but I think that's a simplistic statement and over generalising. Some dogs need to be 'only children' - especially some rescues. I've learned this from Nat. Others will thrive with company and have a doggy companion can lessen separation anxiety for instance. But not all dogs will instantly love each other and I also read and have heard form many sources that two litter mates is hardly EVER a good idea. Many authorities actually go as far as to say it's irresponsible of a breeder to sell two pups together.

Two bitches can be especially problematic...

but of course the right two, or three or as many as you can afford and have time for can be a great and joyous thing!

So I guess it's just not cut and dried.
11:00am, 30 Aug 2014
1541 posts
My dad taught vet students (he was a veterinary biochemist) and the vet crowd he hung with always said that dogs should be kept with other dogs as they were more 'doggy' that way! They also didn't agree with having relatives together.
1:07pm, 30 Aug 2014
16535 posts
I am teetering on the verge of having my own dog. Just got to make sure the business is a going concern. I actually like the thought of two but would probably get one first and add a second on. I am waiting to see what comes my way, once I'm firmly embedded in the dog community. I'm sure it won't be long before I hear of a dog or 2 needing rehoming.

Took my friend's staffy mix out this morning for a photo shoot. Three of us and a v barky dog. Blackberries were picked and eaten by all of us. Self-cleaning dog got covered in mud and water but ended up as always miraculously dried and sleek for the journey home. She got to sample my first attempt at liver treats too.
2:28pm, 30 Aug 2014
3936 posts
Wanda was sold to her first owners with her sister and it wasn't long before they ended up in Battersea together but were to be rehomed individually only to homes without other dogs. I don't think she could live with another dog at the moment but I think in 2 or 3 years time it might be a possibility.

I know someone who had two MLH Daschunds that were brother and sister and they seemed to get on OK together but they had lived in a kennel enviroment (with various other dogs) before they were rehomed to my friends and they seemed perfectly sweet, happy little dogs. They were sadly rehomed again (through an animal charity) after that couple's marriage broke up - although completely by chance I met them with their new owner in the forest and they were very happy in a lovely home with several other dogs and still the content little souls that they always had been.
2:31pm, 30 Aug 2014
3937 posts
We are just back from our second agility lesson. Weave and A frame in the mix today as well... Wanda is so confident with it all...the teachers reckon she will be really good at agility in time (although I suspect they tell everyone that their dog has real potential in the first few lessons to ensure they keep coming back - I would ;-) ) She has come home and gone straight to bed and asleep - exhausted after all that concentrating, jumping and ..er..barking and snarling at all the other dogs :-( but it is a highly charged environment and *everyone* gets very excited when it is their go :-)
2:46pm, 30 Aug 2014
16536 posts
The dog we took out today is v unpredictable around other dogs. She doesn't like them really. It used to be indifference and I could walk her happily in the local wood past loads of other dogs. I haven't looked after her for over a year and I'm now told that she has to be taken to fairly remote places to be let off the lead. Today she menaced another smaller dog :( but doesn't ever bite, just lunges and squashes smaller dogs if she gets the chance. I should've walked over to grab her collar but didn't want to step on the owners' toes. It was a lovely little King Charles that got jumped on. Too much pussy-footing around in that situation. There was plenty of notice to get her on the lead.
4:34pm, 30 Aug 2014
8534 posts
Lisa ( one of the trainers we go to) always says handlers should be ready to act on the O of OMG when a tricky situation is threatened. That owner is just storing up trouble by not nipping it in the bud, RS :-(

Two dogs - very tempting. Floss loves having Bella to stay. I think because we do have Bella quite a bit we'll stick to one. Bella's with us next month, then October, then November...then probably several times through the skiing season. Jealous? No, no no, not at all ;-)
7:22pm, 30 Aug 2014
16539 posts
She is getting close to being the leader of that pack LD. :( Not something I have ever let her get away with and in fact she had always been very good when staying with me. She is an excellent off-road running partner off the lead. It's instinctive, because she's never been taught to run with anyone.

About This Thread

Support thread for owners of puppies.
Well, why not?

Now including All Matters WoofWoofWoofDOG WoofWoofWoof
Tags
#dogs

Charity Partners

Want a place in your dream race, or raise money for a good cause? Speak to one of our charity partners, or click the links below:

Fragile Do Not Bend nuttyficket Lip Gloss McGoohan ktok Derby Tup Whoever APL JoJoB Pikelet Columba pedroscalls Lyds mister jim Will Crash Restless Legs panad Girlie Blister Carpathius Liliaicha greenknees Cheg mrs shanksi Fellrunning
Site skin
Fetcheveryone is a publication of Hearst Magazines UK which is the trading name of The National Magazine Company Ltd, 72 Broadwick St, London, W1F 9EP.
Registered in England 112955. All rights reserved. Copyright © 2014.